Squabble?

• 4 Replies

Cluckyclaire

Squabble?
« on: March 06, 2012, 08:18 »
Good morning all  :D  wondered if anyone can advise me please, I let the girls out at 6.45 this morning and after coop chores watched them for a while, I saw them 'peck' each other it happened when one seemed to find a morsel whilst scratching about and the other tried to nick it was only one sort of 'get lost' peck, do they squabble sometimes or is this a problem? They have all eaten their pellets and drank this morning etc and otherwise seem fine and bright, it's not that one is being picked on, just worried it could escalate, many thanks for your advice, have a good day

Claire  :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Squabble?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 08:53 »
this is perfectly normal, they always think another has got the tastier bit and that they ought to have it. You ought to watch them all squabble over a mouse or frog - then you get a tackle that any rugby player would be proud off followed by the chicken version of a tug of war tournament  :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

Beano

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 09:02 »
Don't worry it's perfectly normal and quite funny once you realize what's happening.
They have a pecking order which gets challenged sometimes. As you said it was a "get lost" peck, nothing too nasty.
One of my girls (Amber) doesn't realize that she's at the bottom of the pecking order and is faster than the others when it comes to stealing food. I was watching one morning when the top hen (Poppy) was pecking at a large treat after Amber had taken a piece and ran off with it to eat. Before Poppy managed to eat much, Amber was back and circling. She managed to nick the whole piece off Poppy and legged it round the corner before Poppy realized what had happened. It was so funny, especially the bemused look on poor Poppy's face.
Cheers.
El.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 11:47 »
Good morning all  :D  wondered if anyone can advise me please, I let the girls out at 6.45 this morning and after coop chores watched them for a while, I saw them 'peck' each other it happened when one seemed to find a morsel whilst scratching about and the other tried to nick it was only one sort of 'get lost' peck, do they squabble sometimes or is this a problem? They have all eaten their pellets and drank this morning etc and otherwise seem fine and bright, it's not that one is being picked on, just worried it could escalate, many thanks for your advice, have a good day

Claire  :)

Clare when you say "they have all eaten their pellets" do you mean that you give them a set amount each day?  They really need pellets available all day and they will help themselves to as much as they need.  :)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 12:32 »
Sorry no I meant they have had some pellets, they have unlimited pellets in a feeder, and grit/fresh water etc though I stop myself giving them treats more than twice a week  :D

Thanks everyone, will keep my eye on them!

Claire

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 29 queries.