Mulch for floor?

• 8 Replies

Cluckyclaire

Mulch for floor?
« on: March 02, 2012, 08:25 »
Good morning! Quick query, have now fully understood that chicken run and lawn are not long term suited  ::) I saw a local landscape gardener yesterday and asked if he has woodchip I could have as I now plan to put coop and run permanently on the patio (morning sun side not afternoon as in summer one side is a real sun trap). Gardener said he has woodchip though it's not tiny bits I said that should be ok, he said he also has conifer/shrub choppings in it, would that be ok as long as it's fresh? He said I can have the lot for nothing even said he would deliver to me  :) any plant item I definitely need to avoid? Also are the berries from the Jasmine ok for my hens? They were on tiptoes to try to get them but wasn't sure, cheers all! Yay! nearly the weekend! Have a good day

Claire  :D

Cluckyclaire

Re: Mulch for floor?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 22:22 »
ok called landscape gardener and going to see woodchip/shrubchip? tomorrow, any advice appreciated, he said there is no yew/laburnum (i checked  :) hope will be ok

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 12:09 »
Not an expert on this Claire but have read that wood chippings are fine as are conifer.  Think it is hardwood chippings you have to avoid due to mould spores.

Don't know about the Jasmine berries.  Mine eat ferns which they are not supposed to but the one they eat is a Harts Tongue Fern which looks different to others.  Will have to find it a new home just in case.  They have been fine up to now but wouldn't like them to get ill.

Enjoy your weekend with your ladies.   ;) 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Tony H

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 15:38 »
woodchips are fine but as mentioned you can get spores in wood bark and some are treated for the spores but that can be harmfull to the chucks
Chicken crazy

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 16:59 »
Hi all, thanks for your advice, well after 2 weeks with the coop and run on the lawn we have now put it on the patio, the landscape gardener kindly delivered a load of conifer and shredded twigs etc nothing poisonous and the girls are happily scratching about in their new place, will be much easier and healthier for them as the ground won't become compacted and they will be occupied and easier for me too I think, hopefully we won't have to move them again they have certainly been on tour! Oh! And Ella ate from my hand today, the other two wouldn't but will keep trying, also have tried them with broccoli, cabbage and melon and they are not interested! They did have a couple of grapes each and seemed to like those, had best part of the day in garden today with them, Ella walked right up to help me with the digging, the other two seem more timid at the moment, hope you had a good day

Claire  :D

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 19:39 »
Glad you had a good day getting to know your girls

We spent a couple of hours in the garden with our hens when it was sunny in between the rain showers.  Had to keep chasing them out of the main border but it was nice letting them out to freerange for a while.   :)

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:33 »
I use dry old leaves that I bag up each Autumn (loads and loads) and wood chippings. Doesn't take them long to dig it all in to the earth underneath so I keep topping up.
I've had them in the run for alot of the time since a nasty fox attack but I'm now outside all day (weather permitting) doing gardeny things so they've been out with me.
It's a joy to see the 6 of them pretending to be Lancaster Bombers, lining up, running, flying and landing heavily one after the other for 30 feet or so over the grass, stretching their wings in the sunshine!!!
Can't do that in a run......

Cluckyclaire

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:30 »
 :) Good morning!

I let the girls out of the coop about 45 mins ago and they seem more interested in scratching about in their new run pecking at the conifer/leaves/shrubchoppings on the floor than their layers pellets, they did all have a few pellets and a drink but seem happier kicking the stuff in the run about, they are like diggers and I assume this is their natural behaviour/preference? when they were on the lawn they couldnt shovel stuff about i suppose, quite funny to watch, if i need to beware please advise, also there is not as much poo under the perches today and it looks darker than normal, they were in the garden for most of the day yesterday and though they had some pellets in the morning and a bit of corn in the afternoon they didnt have as much in the way of pellets. Its raining now so hopefully we may get a break and they can get out maybe, hope you are all well today.

Thanks

Claire  :)

ANHBUC

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:12 »
The nights are getting shorter so I find less poo under the perches.  Longer nights in the winter resulted in heaps in the morning!   :tongue2:

xx
run floor

Started by samuria on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post January 13, 2015, 20:24
by grinling
xx
what to put on the floor of the run.

Started by animal mad on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post August 07, 2009, 15:17
by Flowerpower136
xx
floor of run

Started by Bubbles on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 16:37
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Run floor?

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 07, 2009, 14:24
by grumpydad

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 34 queries.