Just saying hello

• 10 Replies

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Just saying hello
« on: August 23, 2006, 18:15 »
Hi there everyone,

Just popping in to say hello. Im an absolute beginner with hens, so will be looking for advice. Im doing research first before building the coop and enclosure. I have  a book on order, but my father-in-law used to have a smallholding and kept chickens and turkeys, im sure he will step in when i get stuck.

Looking at maybe 3 or 4 bantams, for fresh eggs for my fried rice, and to go with my home grown veg.

We keep guinea pigs and rabbits, and i will be getting my 2 1/2 little boy to help.

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

ruggief

Just saying hello
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 19:43 »
hi there,
we have small children too and went for bantam hens as they stay small enough for the children to catch and hold. We have Pekin's they're about the size of football, very pretty to look at with feathers over their feet like pompadour wafers and can't run away,  my 18 month can toddle after them and pick them up.  We also have white crested polish bantams the same size that we hatched from an incubator.  Great for the children as they can see them hatch and handle them from first borns so they're tame as well. Can send photos if you'd like
Kind regards

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Just saying hello
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 19:56 »
Ive been deliberately holding out until i got my book. Ive got it now and im on nights, so i will have read through by morning. So, time to start building a henhouse.

I thought bantams but im inclined towards something that gives bigish eggs. I do like eggs. I also love chicken, bit of a paradox.

Sam im sure will love caring for the birds. He's mad about his baby rabbit Freddy.

Post your photos, its always nice to see such things.

Martin

becky

• Experienced Member
    • http://chickentopia.blogspot.com/
Just saying hello
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 21:40 »
:D Hi there. Great that you are getting chooks, they are the best pets ever, in my opinion. I cant think of another pet that actually pays you to look after it!!!
We have 6 chooks, and a 2 1/2 year old also, (they dont all live together, we do allow our little girl in the house!). She absolutley adores them, and can pick them all up, which is no mean feat as 2 of the chooks are marans, and totally huge! If you like eggs, then carefull with batams, as some of the breeds tend to go broody, then they will stop laying for a bit, so less eggs. Have fun, they are such characters :D
Peas out!

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Just saying hello
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2006, 21:57 »
I got my chicken keeping book today, Julie gave it to me as i left for work at half 6. Ive already read it through. I see what you mean about bantams. I want plenty of eggs, and good sized ones. Im leaning towards one of the hybrids.

Sam will love them. He likes to help with the animals.

Ive got to build a henhouse and run now. Easy enough. Trouble is going to be getting the wood home from wherever i can aquire it. I know that Hillam Feeds down the road had a massive stack of pallets, and as i buy my feed from them and will do so for the birds, im hoping they will let me have some

Martin

fifisparrow

Pallets or Pellets?
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2006, 22:30 »
Hi there,
Just read your message about buying pallets to make a coop and I just have to tell you what happened to ne when I was buying my three lovely hens a few weeks ago; I had the coop made specially and was sourcing the hens. I decided to ring a number out of the local newspaper. The woman told me I would need to 'have them on layers pallets'. I hadn't heard of 'layers pallets' but presumed it was some sort of roosting rack to encourage laying like the bottom of the EGLU coops (!) I asked her where do you put them? In the coop? She laughed and said 'You don't know much about hens do you. I informed her I had a book(!). She repeated that I should keep them on 'layers pallets' or they wouldn't lay. I said where do I get them from? By this time she had clearly had enough of me and handed the phone over to her husband. He explained very clearly about feeding and watering and that I would need to 'feed them on LAYERS PELLETS'. OOH I said 'layers pellets. She was probably saying pellets all along but I heard pallets and my imagination ran riot. !!!!
We got three beautiful hybrids from them (Tikka, Michelle and Layla!) and they are settling in very nicely.
Weed 'em and reap.

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Just saying hello
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006, 07:55 »
Martin

did you ever get your birds
Caroline

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Just saying hello
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006, 08:20 »
Hello There,

Ive not got them yet. Its taken me this long to find time to start building the house for them. Ive got one end built and a stack of wood from knocking 5 pallets apart yesterday. Im hoping a chap at work can get me some 3x3 posts that will form the outside frame that holds it all together and the legs.

The owner of Hillam Feeds lets me have the pallets at £1.50 a go. Im hoping that within a couple of weeks it will be finished and i can then start looking for chooks.

Im guessing that was you on the freecycle after a hutch for the broody one? Ive not got any hutches spare or i would have helped you out. How's the mummy doing?

Martin

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Just saying hello
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 10:33 »
Martin,

Thanks, I've got one now, had to buy one as everyone seems to want hutches at the moment.

Cutie Pie (the Broody) is doing really well, she throw a couple of eggs out, she started with 12 fertile eggs, and then stole an extra 7. So fingers crossed they will hatch next tuesday or wednesday. Depending on how many hatch I maybe able to let you have some, if you'd like.

They quail hatched just over 2 weeks ago and are growing fast, some will be off to Selby auction in a few weeks time.

And the ducks are due to hatch on the 21st or there abouts.

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Just saying hello
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 10:42 »
lovelly, glad there doing ok,

Yes everyones after hutches at the moment, i usually build my own anyway. I should be in bed now cos im on nights but im building the 'door' end of the henhouse, ive got to go into Selby now and get some more tubes of caulk to seal the planks with.

I myself only want 2-3 hybrids cos im after the eggs, but ive built the house to hold 5-6, cos im sure Julie will want a couple of bantams, and Sam will probably want some baby ones to look after.

Thanks for the offer, what type are they? but it may be a while before im finished building the house, i will keep you posted

Martin

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
Just saying hello
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 13:53 »
Well I got 6 mixed Bantam (all pure breeds just going to be a surprise)eggs, 6 Gold Laced Wyandotte bantam eggs, and then she also has 6 white silkie eggs that she stole.

I don't mind hanging on to them for a while for you, as they will need their mum for warmth any way to start with.

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 36 queries.