Badgers

• 3 Replies

bygrace

• Experienced Member
Badgers
« on: October 25, 2011, 08:51 »
Has anyone had a problem with badgers?

I have a normal domestic garden in the outskirts of town surrouned by a 6ft fence. There are badger sets the other side of the main road and a friend thinks the digging I have and the large "rat hole" is not a rat but a badger. (The hole peters away to about 2", but the opening is maybe 15")

My run is lidded and has a 15" skirt all round the perimeter - not fixed to the main run but pinned down every 12-15" with tent pegs. The house is bolted at night. The run is made with 1" x 1/2" weldmesh, 1mm diameter.

If it is a badger, I've heard they're stronger than foxes.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks. BG

Casey76

Re: Badgers
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2011, 09:08 »
Badgers can be a pest, and are much stronger than foxes when it comes to digging.  Unfortunately I believe it is illegal to interfere with a sett in any way.

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2011, 13:20 »
I had badgers in my garden before I moved and they dragged over the electric netting surrounding the chicken run but did not get into the coop.  They are great diggers and will get under most barriers but not up through a wooden floor on paving slabs.  I have had no badger activity during the day.  As Casey says, it is still illegal to interfere with badgers and their setts.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

chicken george25

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2011, 13:46 »
You could deter them by putting pepper dust around the fencing and dont leave anything sweet out that may attract them

xx
Badgers

Started by Aunt Sally on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2010, 10:35
by joyfull

Page created in 0.27 seconds with 35 queries.