Feather Pecking....think I've tried everything.

• 6 Replies

SteveE

Feather Pecking....think I've tried everything.
« on: September 26, 2011, 17:35 »
Hi All,

Been keeping four hens for 1 year now and since very early days have suffered with feather pecking. Below is a list of the steps I've taken so far to iradicate the problem.

1. Used the disgusting smelling spray.
2. increased the size of the pen, now over 3 Sq m per hen.
3. Seperated the main pecker for 10 days.
4. Fitted anti-peck rings to the beaks.
5. Hung things in pen for interest.

Nothing seems to work, the rings did work for the first 2 weeks and feather began to grow back, but they've now worked out how to peck with the rings.

Three of the four are doing the pecking to some degree or other only one is a "good" girl. And she is actually the only one that is wary of being pecked therefore has more feather left than the others.
I don't think they're too upset in themselves as I have generally still been getting an egg from each of them a day.

Have even considered getting a cockerel to hopefully solve the issue, but we do have neighbours I'm not keen on upsetting.

HELP!!!!! (please)

Thanks
Steve

jackieand glenn

Re: Feather Pecking....think I've tried everything.
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 19:32 »
hi steve. you and me both, i had all these problems when i got mine last year. i have to say the ani beat clips worked but i left them on for weeks. one poor hen was so bad they ete holes in her, she survived but feathers never grow on her legs or back. she lays everyday and seems happy. if you have a garden where you could let them out the problem would stop. i had to give up my garden for them to roam in, now all happy and well.

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2011, 00:25 »
I have read that it is a genetic thing as much as anything.  Fortunately I never have any problems with my Marans which are very placid even with other breeds, but I have read various snippets about it, and I would guess that the two other factors at work, given a genetic propensity to feather pick, would be boredom and lack of something in the diet. 

So if you can't allow them free range, which might solve both problems at a stroke, then you could try giving them a protein boost in their diet, plus maybe some vitamins in the water, and dried seaweed meal for minerals.  Plus the usual recommendations for hanging up bunches of greenery for them to peck at.  Possibly some branches or maybe you could get some minced hedgetrimmers from a contractor and use them as bedding in the run to give them something to do  The other thing you might try are the "spectacles" sold for pheasants.
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2011, 01:33 »
I agree with everything Darkbrowneggs has recommended.  The reading I've done on the subject says there are two likely causes for triggering the habit:
1) Environment (i.e. boredom, lack of space, can't get out of each others' sight)
2) Dietary deficiency (usually protein, calcium or trace elements).

The suggestions already made should cover both these possibilities.

BUT (this is the bad news) once feather pecking becomes a habit, even fixing the original causes may not solve the problem.  You may be stuck with feather-peckers for life.  The only solution then is the physical prevention (beak clips or the little blinkers suggested by DBE) and if those don't work I'm afraid you may have run out of options. :(

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2011, 08:32 »
I had three amberlinks that were right bullies and in the end one (the top bully) had to culled as nothing stopped her. She was highly intellegent and even though they completely free range this wasn't enough to stop her she just didn't like black coloured birds.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Missie

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 09:22 »
Steve,
have you tried Stockholm tar?-I painted it on with a brush and my feather pecker gave up-she really did not like the taste!

crh75

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2011, 14:48 »
It was recommended to me to stop feeding the hens any corn, as this can make them hyperactive (like kids with sweets). 

xx
Feather pecking

Started by Carshay on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 17, 2016, 11:37
by Sassy
xx
Feather Pecking Again!

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 15, 2008, 22:07
by GrannieAnnie
xx
feather pecking

Started by fourmoon on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 11:06
by fourmoon
xx
Feather pecking.

Started by Chas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 18, 2008, 17:32
by Chas

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 37 queries.