Hen laying 2 eggs

• 9 Replies

redjane11

Hen laying 2 eggs
« on: July 04, 2011, 10:14 »
I have 2 girls. one of them (and i know who it is) is laying 2 eggs a every other day.
She lays soft shell egg in morning and even softer in the evening.  Looks as though she sits on her perch and just drops it.
This chicken is 1 year old  but we have been having problems with soft eggs for a while now.   think she is a black rock cross.  Have tried all the tricks to improve them.
Is there a way we can stop her from laying for a while to try and sort this problem out.
Thanks
Adopt a chicken

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Hen laying 2 eggs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 11:18 »
what have you done so far to try to stop this?
Staffies are softer than you think.

redjane11

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 11:49 »

Morning Joyfull.
I have tried to get her egg shell hard with plenty of oyster shell, Plenty of grit. even had the limestone powder.    She free ranges when we are at home.
I have just never heard of this before. (mixed up chicken)

joyfull

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 11:53 »
you may be unlucky and have a hen that cannot absorb calcium (it is rare but does happen sadly). Don't give her any treats just layers pellets and see if that helps (if necessary restrict her movements so she cant fill up on bugs, worms and grass/leaves forcing her to eat the pellets.

redjane11

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 12:05 »
She is a fussy eater, Just picks at food, They dont get many treats really, just tend to get lots green stuff from the veg. its the laying twice in a day that gets me. If i quick i can get to the eggs before they get broken. Try and keep them away from the bugs.

joyfull

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 12:21 »
as they are soft they have trouble getting the egg out as there is nothing for the muscles to push against so this is why one is slow to come out hence the two in a day. Sadly soft shells can break when being pushed along and this leads to internal infections. The only way to stop the laying is to keep her cool and in a dark area so she thinks this is winter and she may then go into a moult.

have a read of this thread and look at the links on it:-

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=60052.0

redjane11

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 12:37 »
I don't bank on that one,  She laid all winter even in the snow!!!!!!!!!
May have to try the calcium in the water, where can i get that? Have also wonderd if the pellets are missing something, although we have always used them.

Sooz

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:40 »
I have a problem with one of mine who has laid soft shelled eggs (sometimes no shell at all) since I have had her.  She is an ex barn chicken, but is only about a year old.  She doesn't lay two a day though.
I have tried everything too - crushed egg shells, cod liver oil,  limestone powder, some mix (forgotten what it's called) that I bought from the local supplier, Zolcal D, phew!  Did any of it work?  Did it heck!
I should dispatch her really, but she is so adorable and cheeky.  The funniest thing she does is, when I collect the normal eggs, she follows me and takes a peek in the nest box as though she is intrigued as to what they are!   How can I get rid of her?  She's such a cutey!!
I'm not young enough to know everything!

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 12:49 »
I don't bank on that one,  She laid all winter even in the snow!!!!!!!!!
May have to try the calcium in the water, where can i get that? Have also wonderd if the pellets are missing something, although we have always used them.

she would have laid last winter as she was too young to go into a full moult. The layers (assuming you are using a good named brand) will have everything in them that she needs but if she isn't eating enough of them then she won't be getting all the nutrients and minerals she needs. She needs her movements restricting to get her to eat them instead of the veg.

redjane11

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:56 »
Ok, will try leaving her locked in the run. She not going to like that as she likes a walk down the drive and a look round next door garden. Nothing there only weeds.

xx
Laying less eggs

Started by CattinJ on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 01, 2010, 13:00
by themagicaltoad1
xx
still laying soft eggs

Started by sneezer on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 04, 2010, 18:15
by sneezer
xx
Hen laying 'soft'eggs

Started by hensjs on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 15:19
by hensjs
xx
laying eggs in the winter

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 22:57
by splodger

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 36 queries.