How to feed/howmuch to feed

• 4 Replies

Lewjam

• Experienced Member
How to feed/howmuch to feed
« on: April 27, 2011, 13:01 »
Hey all,

Ive not recently got my three birds, two light sussex and a rhod island red at 12 weeks old.

Ive got them on growers pellets at the moment, but im just wondering how to feed them/how much?

At present ive got them a feeding hopper that i keep filled up all the time so they can eat as much as they want.  Is this sensible?

Obviously means i cant tame them as well because they always have food so never need to come to be fed as the big yellow thing does it all for them!?

Am I better to put the food in for them in the morning, if so how much should I feed them?

Also at this age is it wise to avoid feeding them treats or greens and such - i herd it can cause problems with infected crops in younger birds?

Lew
I hate signatures but love irony

Robster

Re: How to feed/howmuch to feed
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 13:05 »
I always make sure that the girls have pellets available.  Especially at night before they go to bed.  Treats as when they come available from the kitchen.  They will still take from your hand especially if you have some old grapes so don't worry they will be as tame as anything.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 13:39 »
chickens are grazers and will eat a little and often so please continue as you are. Offer them a couple of mealworms each in an open palm and they will soon think you are their best friend  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 15:59 »
chickens are grazers and will eat a little and often so please continue as you are. Offer them a couple of mealworms each in an open palm and they will soon think you are their best friend  :D
Mealworms!!!
Mine will take anything and everything and instantly become your best friend  :lol:
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Jacinta

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2011, 22:14 »
Yep, if mine see me digging the garden they line up for tasty worms or weeds.  Even when i carry the poo plant pot i use for cleaning, they run over incase it's something for them and they know it's not! 

xx
Eating their eggs...and to feed extras or not to feed..help!

Started by RosiesChooks on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post June 27, 2010, 22:37
by evie2
xx
Cereal feed and grain feed

Started by davepitch on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post October 16, 2008, 21:09
by muntjac
xx
Feed

Started by New Hampshire lover on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 21:57
by Aunt Sally
xx
wot to feed and wot not

Started by charles chickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 30, 2009, 22:23
by Rubellite

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.