how much does a chicken eat?

• 13 Replies

cejx

• Experienced Member
how much does a chicken eat?
« on: April 07, 2011, 15:38 »
Hello!

5 ladies which have a couple of feeders full of layers pellets - which never seem to get eaten.  They are chucked away and replaced every 2-3 days but are my girls hungry, should I give them something else?  If they are not eating these, what else would they be eating?
**ginger•henna•margo•matilda•hattie••5 ex-bats & betty the rescued bluebelle**

Dominic

Re: how much does a chicken eat?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 15:48 »
How big are the feeders?
My 4 5 week old chicks eat a 1L feeder a day, maybe one a half.

I was told by the place we bought them from when fully grown they would eat the 4 litre one every three or four days.

Are you feeding them any treats?
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 15:55 »
not really - just bribes to get them to bed - that kind of thing.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 16:05 »
On average a laying hen depending on breed should eat 125-130 gms per day.  We feed ours ad lib, but I was told the other week to cut back a bit as they weren't laying so well.  over fed hens don't lay well.

But it isn't necessary to chuck it away every 2-3 days as long as it isn't wet.  Our feeders just get topped up as necessary.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 16:20 »
they genuinely don't seem to be eating anything - and certainly nowhere near those quantities.  we get an egg each - everyday, and all on inspection are fine.  They're all out there sunbathing at the moment!

I try and keep the pellets fresh to entice them, but as they aren't eating it, there is nothing to top up!

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 16:22 »
Have you tried mixing some of the pellets with water to make a nice mash for them?

The other week when our new girls weren't eating.  I got some poultry spice and a bag of layers mash and gave them that in a tray in their run instad of their pellets and they love the mash.  now we are introducing the pellets again mixed in with the mash.

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 16:34 »
yep, we seem to have gone through the whole gamut of pellet preparation!  Now, I'm unsure if some brands of pellets are tastier than others, they are currently on the Smallholder range.  All I can think, is that they will eat when they are hungry - which they seem to be all the time, they just won't eat!  Greens and corn don't interest them either.

Fisherman

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 18:51 »
GrannieAnnie is correct when she says an average a laying hen depending on breed should eat 125-130 gms per day. However mine free range and eat less than 100 gms per day, I assume because they are scratching about for food. Might be worth weighing your feeder before you let them out in a morning and then again at night to see if they are eating anything. If they aren't eating food they will soon go down hill. Perhaps try some mixed corn or sweetcorn. If they are left alone they usually will eat layer pellets at some stage. No need to throw the pellets by the way as they will keep a good while (weeks) as long as they are kept dry.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 22:56 by Fisherman »

cejx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 19:24 »
I shall try the weighing thing - they are free ranging, but I can't believe they are finding any more food as they have dessimated the area!  I have put sweetcorn in with their food, as corn they are not bothered about - and obviously, they just picked out the sweet corn!

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 23:10 »
Sounds like they are getting plenty of food free ranging and there's plenty of food about at the moment. If you get hold of one of your birds late in the day and feel its crop you will soon tell if its eating well or not. Its crop should be pretty full and bulging.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2011, 02:00 »
That sounds really odd.  Are you sure nobody else is feeding them on scraps - like children feeding them school lunches?  If possible, I would suggest weighing your hens. 

I have two light sussex pullets, and the larger one fell sick.  The vet weighed her at 1kg exactly.  When I got home I weighed the 'smaller' pullet and she weighed 1.2kg.  I was amazed how feathers can disguise the true condition of the body underneath. (I re-weighed them both and confirmed my scales were telling the truth.)

If your chickens aren't eating their pellets, aren't getting scraps, and don't have lush pasture to range on, they must surely be losing weight.  It seems odd that they would also reject damp pellets, greens and corn if they were hungry.

Something strange is going on here!   :dry:

andymac

• andymacs
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:55 »
Hi.
Might seem a daft question, but have they got plenty of fresh water on hand?
Just a thought.  :dry:

Tigerwren

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 18:05 »
Hi cejx,
was wondering what kind of land they free range on?  Could they be filling up on delicious food for sheep etc?   ???

evie2

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2011, 11:21 »
We have 5 who free range everyday, at the moment that's 6am-8pm ish, although this morning it was 4am  >:(

They also have food and water in 2 areas of the garden, the water always need filling but the food not so much.  I must admit I was a bit concerned at first but they're fit and healthy, their crops are always full and we get 5 eggs a day :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

xx
New Chicken ~Owner with Chicken Emergency

Started by Jae Dawn on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 15, 2010, 23:22
by Thingy
xx
Yet another ill chicken!!!

Started by Prod on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 24, 2013, 16:21
by ANHBUC
xx
Is my chicken ill?

Started by chickencoop on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 29, 2008, 20:01
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
Chicken Run

Started by sean384 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 23, 2010, 21:40
by cambssuz

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 35 queries.