Which breed would you recommend?

• 18 Replies

leddenton

Which breed would you recommend?
« on: February 08, 2011, 20:49 »
I have recently lost my remaining girls all 3 were lowman browns.Perfect in every way but have now found out are prone to peritonitis and are not bred to live long. Became too attached to them and so would like try other breeds that would have a longer life span and not be as prone to probs. Have a small coop but they do have the corner of the garden fenced off about 20ft to free range all day. I would like eggs but not prolific(as don't want similar probs) and I would like a good nature who enjoys being handled. Any advice much appreciated as I don't want to get it wrong.

Bev

• Experienced Member
Re: Which breed would you recommend?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 21:22 »
Sorry to hear you lost your old hens!

I only have experience of my current hens which are my first ones, they are Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex. They have a lovely character, in fact I got them form a petting zoo so they are really tame. They do lay a lot though so you might be inundated with eggs.

My hen friend says always get brown hens as they are friendly and I can certainly vouch that my neighbours black ones seem quite fiesty in comparison!

Bev :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 21:31 »
if you want longevity in a hen then choose a pure breed. The best bet is to look around and get a breed you like the looks of. All birds when elderly can get peritonitis and all can get all the other illnesses  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

uktitan

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 21:34 »
Polands...Polands are Awesome... Although i think im a Polandaholic hehe i just love them they are not very good layers but they are funny as hell and VERY placid,

Orpingtons are nice and friendly, Not bad layers but not prolific, Black rock are very good layers and are friendly ( well ours are) welsummer are lovely chickens  to, ours is pretty friendly.
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 06:40 »
I too would recomment a pure breed rather than a commercial hybrid.  Since thier main function in life is not to produce eggs every day (as with a commercial hybrid), they will lay for much longer, but not quite so often.

As to what breed, well, that very subjective!

Do you want a bantam breed or farge fowl.

Two LF breeds which are both friendly and gorgeous to look at are Wyandottes and Faverolles.  While neither are superstars in the egg producing department, you should still get 3 to 4 eggs a week during the laying season.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 07:47 »
I too have lost all my chickens.  I too, am after a good nature in my next lot and I am not bothered about egg production.  I think I am planning a mixture of bantams and hens.

I want less health problems if possible (due to major distress I go through each time they get ill) so thank you for the advice about pure breeds.

My main criteria by far is friendliness, though good-looking chucks and egg colour could come into it. 

Any advice, help and experience would be greatfully received, as picking your next hens is not an easy task.

trinamc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2011, 09:30 »
I love my buff orpingtons they are very calm and love a cuddle, they are big birds and look good as well :D :D

darkbrowneggs

• Experienced Member
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52 »
I find English Cuckoo Marans a healthy, hardy, long lived breed.  Most should lay darker eggs than the normal tinted, but if you want the true Marans egg colour check with the breeder. 

You can find info on these at the official Marans Club of Great Britain website, with lots of pictures of the birds and eggs.

All the best
Sue
I love my traditional clean legged English Cuckoo Marans

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2011, 12:54 »

I only have experience of my current hens which are my first ones, they are Rhode Island Red x Light Sussex. They have a lovely character, in fact I got them form a petting zoo so they are really tame. They do lay a lot though so you might be inundated with eggs.

Bev :D

Hi Bev, do you have any pics of your hens? I was just recently told that this particular cross gives excellent qualities in a laying hen ...

TIA

Cheers

:)
Best Regards,

spud

leddenton

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2011, 20:21 »
Thanks for info.Will post when i get my new girls

jinty1911

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 20:28 »
I find English Cuckoo Marans a healthy, hardy, long lived breed.  Most should lay darker eggs than the normal tinted, but if you want the true Marans egg colour check with the breeder. 

You can find info on these at the official Marans Club of Great Britain website, with lots of pictures of the birds and eggs.
Sue, I am still having dreams about chocolate coloured eggs after visiting your site. They are amazing!!!!

asd1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 22:49 »
My brown hens seem to of had every illness going so far and i think this is to do with the stress put on them to lay an egg a day also they are getting on a bit now. Last year I got two araucana bantams they have just started to lay lovely blue eggs, a lil harder to tame as they don't like being picked up but will let you stroke them. Seem very hardy so far , very pretty too. They are very bold girls they won't be bossed around but will do anything for treats!

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2011, 00:29 »
I would like a good nature who enjoys being handled. Any advice much appreciated as I don't want to get it wrong.
[/quote]

I have a Mix flock of Large and Small fowl but i find that Poland's and a few of our hybrids like the Amber and copper black seem to like the cuddle and fusses over the pure breeds.

I find my bantams to be a bit flighty and not liking to be held but will eat out of your hand and be your best friend where grapes are concerned.

I think it comes down to how much time you spend with them i would say out of 20 hens about 6 love to be picked up and petted and just fussed and our others eat out of your hand but don't like the fuss but like to complain a bit if you pick them up for a shot but will settle very fast.
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

penninehillbilly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2011, 00:54 »
I find my Buff Orpingtons the most docile hen I have ever known, they just seem to invite a cuddle, and look very 'matronly' as the wander around, it's also hilarious to see them running ::).
while the welsummers are lovely to look at they tend to be more wary, Marans are quite placid as well, not as much as the Orps.
I'm not sure just how much handling when young has an effect, or whether it's always basicly the nature of the breed

Casey76

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2011, 06:49 »
If you are going to look at bantams, well my two sabelpoots are the friendliest birds I've ever had.  My girl poot quite happily sits on my shoulder and preens my hair while I watch TV (yes, she comes indoors!), and my new boy, whilst he doesn't like being picked up will quite happily perch on my arm and accept titbits :)

xx
Recommend me a breed please.

Started by death of rats on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 06:26
by joyfull
xx
which breed would you recommend for me?

Started by newhen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2009, 19:20
by newhen
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Anyone recommend...

Started by power_of_p3 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 20, 2009, 15:42
by poultrygeist

Page created in 0.196 seconds with 35 queries.