Chicken standing still hunched eyes closing, sometimes tucked under wing

• 8 Replies

rjt10

Hi,
I was lucky enough to get 3 POL Light Sussex hens for Christmas! My first chickens! All was fine until a few days ago when noticed that one of them was just standing still, all hunched/fluffed up and seemed to be drifting off to sleep. Until it was disturbed by the other 2. It seems to be eating and drinking fine. However, it does seem to have a swelling around its throat and seems to try to swallow a lot. Anyway, we’ve only had them since Christmas eve and they have been kept in a house and run, with water, layers pellets and grit always available.
We have had 4 eggs since getting them which is great. But this withdrawn behaviour is worrying. Yesterday I noticed that one of the other hens has now started doing the same hunched sleeping but this one has its head tucked under wing. Again both seem quite lively when go out to see them and they are going in the hen house at night and running out in the morning.
The farm we got them from says they haven’t been wormed but they were barn reared and we have had them enclosed so chances of contracting worms so quickly is unlikely.
They have offered to exhcnage for 2 others but concerned that the remaining one may be infected if it is a contagious illness.  Obviously I don’t want to change these ones if I don’t have to but if they do seem very ill it may be for the best at this stage rather than contend with vets fees etc.
Dropping seem normal.
Can anyone help? Should I take them back?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
you need to get them to a vet, or take all 3 back and buy from elsewhere, they could have been incubating this illness since you got them. There is a good chance it is mycoplasma and stress can bring the symptoms out. A hen can pass this down through the egg to any chicks which is why you should never breed from a chicken that has had this. Once a chicken has had it they will have it for their life, the symptoms can be controlled by antibiotics but at any time of stress - such as moulting or introducing new chickens can bring another bout of it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

swedishchicken

Hi,
The best thing you can do is to take them to a vet and get them checked out. It sounds like mycoplasma but it could be a lot of different things. It is important that you dont wait, cos once you notice the symptoms, the chickens are very ill, and they go down hill rapidly.
I understand that taking them to a vet can be costly, and it may be tempting to exchange the chickens you currently have with new ones, but unless you are extremely lucky, you are only postponing the vets visits.
Having chickens means you will see your local vet way more often than you would like :)
Good luck with them

hillfooter

I would agree this behaviour sounds like they aren't well.  Chx should be bright and alert and active during the day scratting and foraging.  Myco is a respiritory infection and usually has sneezing, watery eyes, bubbles in the eye, nasal discharge, wheezy or rattly breathing symptoms as well as depression.  If these are ill and it sounds like it, I would try and get a refund and get some new stock elsewhere.

Clean up your house with a disinfectant such as Vanodine V18 or even a good household disinfectant will do but first clean it with a detergent such as washing up liquid to get rid of any dirt which will neutralise the disinfectant.  Was your housing new or had it been used? If the latter, or it's heavily soiled, a good power spray is in order.

The last thing you want when you are starting out is sick hens and vets bills.  I'd never buy from a farm to be frank.   I'd choose a reputable breeder who can offer you a money back guarentee and who can tell you something about the health and breeding of his stock.  Basic vaccinations are also an advantage.  The key ones are Mareks disease, Newcastles Disease, Infectious Bronchitis but there are several other infections which they should be protected against try googling.  You should ask about MG (mycoplasma free stock) how they ensure healthy stock.  Don't be shy to ask and look closely at the stock.  Is it active alert free from cold like symptoms, not got bare patches or missing feathers or dirty rear ends.  Walk away if you aren't satisfied.  You don't want birds that have just been loaded off a lorry you want to be confident the breeder knows his stuff and has looked after his stock.  Take someone along who knows about chickens or ask around for recommendations.  Small hobbist breeders are unlikely to have vaccinated stock but they may have well managed operations and healthy birds which they will be proud to show you.

Best of Luck
HF
Truth through science.

rjt10

Hi,

thank you all for the replies, much appreciated.

I have arranged to take them back to the breeder at the weekend and get a refund. They seemed concerned for the rest of the batch which were currently unsold too. I will get some new ones from another breeder which has been recommended. It is a shame but would seem they were sold to us unwell. It is a real shame as this morning they ran out of the house and looked very happy but then as the day goes on they seem to slow down and start looking unwell.

thanks for the advice regarding cleaning the house, it was brand new. But i will give it a good clean and probably move the run to fresh ground as well.

Thank you again for your help and lets hope that my next 3 hens are strong and healthy.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
 :(  it really is a shame your first venture turned out this way, fingers crossed for a better outcome with the next lot  :)

cammi

• Experienced Member
Oh I'm a bit worried now  :(  we got our first chickens on saturday, and i have noticed the youngest was standing still and tucking her head onto her back for a nap this afternoon, but i just put it down to the horrid weather its been wet and very windy today.  She is eating and drinking fine, she does seem to be the lowest in the pecking order but she is the youngest.  So should i worry.??? :wacko:
11 Chickens (Rhode Rock, Bluebell, Copper Black, Columbine, Coucou, Mystery Hen, Clarance Court, Araucana, brown hen ) , 3 Cats (1 mog, 1 bengal, 1 Bengal x),  2 Little Boys, 1 dog (Golden Retriever) and 1 Husband

orchardlady

I shouldn't think you should worry Cammie. My hens have a very clear afternoon routine that consists of a very careful preen around 2pm a bit of a nap until 3pm and then a huge amount of hanging around looking keen until I turn up with afternoon corn. Your hen was probably just having a little afternoon rest of her eyes but keep an eye out just in case.

OL

cammi

• Experienced Member
oh good thats all it looked like, just like my toddler son having his afternoon nap.    :)

xx
Chicken sneezing/coughing. Closing eyes and tilting head up. Slight weight loss?

Started by Ribbit on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 12, 2010, 16:27
by Ribbit
xx
Sick Chicken, floppy comb and hunched up

Started by taffndebs on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 06, 2010, 08:14
by joyfull
xx
Chicken with weeping eyes

Started by kryten72 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 16, 2008, 14:16
by Aunt Sally
question
closed eyes in a chicken

Started by whitebarn on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 08, 2009, 18:06
by Vember

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 32 queries.