Lohmann brown hybrids

• 4 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
Lohmann brown hybrids
« on: September 27, 2010, 08:46 »
hello everyone i have at last moved house have the coop erected in the garden and have just purchased on saturday 6 lohmann brown hens so far so good apart from trying to get them in and out of the coop - which i have had to use a torch to guide them in at dusk! They are 18 wks old and should lay in 3 weeks time although i have heard that lohmanns mature quickly and can start to lay from 18 weeks does anybody know about lohmann hens ? I am new to this and they are my first hens.
regards Patricia

gingerplant

Re: Lohmann brown hybrids
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 11:15 »
congratulations on your new hens. I'm afraid i don't know anything about lohmann browns, but in general hens will start to lay when they're settled, happy, and ready! Evasive i know, but i9e had some lay early and a maran who waited till she was about 40 weeks!! Have you got a good chicken-keeping book? There are some good recommendations on here,i like the national trust book for beginners. Good luck!

rachelr

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 11:31 »
My lohmans were about 22 to 24 weeks old when they started laying. They are very inquisitive birds. It took mine less than a week to eat out of my hand. I now have problems in the fact that when they see me they think they are gonna get treats. We had a late bbq and henrietta stole my OH sausage straight from his plate!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 08:08 »
My 3 girls are Lohmann Browns & were about 23 weeks old when i got them. Only one wasn't laying when i got them, & took about another couple weeks before i got an egg from her.
I had to pick my girls up for about the 1st week to get them used to going in their house at night!
I sat with mine each day for them to get used to me & now like you, they come running everytime i go near them. They climb over me & cluck away at me eachtime i go in with them  :D
They try & help me when i'm cleaning them which is quite funny, but does make the job longer  ::)
I'm worming mine about every 4 months with flubenvet & never really had any problems with them!
The place i got mine from said they are very hardy & very rarely get ill - they said usually you will only fine out they were ill when you find them dead, which i found a bit difficult to believe!!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 08:11 »
chickens hide their illnesses so well that the person you got your Lohman Browns off was correct in a lot of cases of not knowing until you find them dead. It is a case of survival you need to appear fit and well to prevent the others picking on you  :(
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
how and do ? hybrids (brown hen) go broody how can you get them broody ?

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 09:13
by too many girls
xx
anyone know anything about Lohmann's?

Started by Newbie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 22:14
by GrannieAnnie
question
Lohmann Browns - when do they start laying??

Started by 2300ajp on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 15, 2009, 12:59
by kimT
xx
any1 keep ross lohmann hybrid chickens??

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post April 14, 2009, 09:05
by Vistarosa

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 36 queries.