Any advice on keeping Pheasants

• 3 Replies

bedt

« on: July 25, 2006, 17:01 »
I have for some time now wanted to keep Pheasants. Can anyone give me any information on this subject? Is it really any different or more difficult than keeping any other poultry? Thanks

JANEVANS02

« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 22:53 »
We keep pheasants and must advise they are much more difficult to look after, firstly they are quite scatty, when you go into their run they same times fly up and hit their heads on the roof which of course can kill them.  In the breeading season you cannot keep two cock birds in the same run and sometimes you need to put a bit on the cock bird and very often hens also need a bit to stop them picking each other to death.

I would suggest you do alot of research or talk to people about exactly what is involved in keeping pheasants as it is alot of work but can also be very rewarding if done correctly.

Feel free to ask any questions.

Jan

muntjac

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 00:28 »
a little misinformation here . you can keep cocks together in a pen just make sure there at least 6 hens to each cock , they do not need beak bits if they have other things to ocupy thier brains .hanging seed bags up with cracked maize in with help as will dead rabbits to attract flies and produce maggots . they only jump up and hit the roof if you go into quickly and make sudden moves , talking and whistling helps  and finnaly they are no harder to keep and breed etc than normal chickens which in fact is what they are ,common sense with the birds is what is needed i breed and rear many hundreds of pheasants a year ( michigan blue backs ) as well as raise bought in poults . i keep and breed  whites golden / silver and amhursts also as speciality birds for collections
still alive /............

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 08:47 »
I like pheasants, when we move I may get some.
Caroline

xx
Advice on keeping quail please

Started by judi on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 25, 2014, 11:49
by Sassy
xx
new to hen keeping advice needed please

Started by della25 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post November 10, 2011, 14:04
by della25
xx
Advice on keeping bantams

Started by birmancats on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 11, 2010, 09:48
by birmancats
xx
Advice please on keeping ducks and chickens??

Started by flangey on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 08:21
by flangey

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 36 queries.