Egg laying

• 9 Replies

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
Egg laying
« on: May 19, 2010, 15:29 »
Im a bit concerned about Pamela my speckledy,   Ive had her a few weeks now, she didnt come in great health and went on antibiotics straight away, wormed etc etc.  On the journey to me she had laid a softy egg, the following day she had also laid a softy egg.   She didnt lay for a day or so and then laid normally for a few days, eggs were normal size and good shell quality.   Then she stopped for a good few days, then a wind egg came along followed by a big double yoker, didnt lay for a couple of days then she laid for two days and then nothing for two days, that was yesterday and nothing today.   She looks good and certianly is running about the place, eating drinking well and doing all chickeny things.   Im not sure wot age she is, the breeder told me they were last yrs birds starting to lay around september, october time.    I would really appreciate any advice just so i can relax abit, i dont think there is any need to take her to the vet yet, i had read that sometimes them being ill can effect the reproductive track and damage it and as she hasnt had a great time of it im wondering would that be possible.  Any ideas or suggestions for prehaps treating her would be greatly appreciated,.    Nickyxx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Egg laying
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 15:37 »
if she is in god health apart from this laying thing then I wouldn't worry too much Nicky. Just out of curiosity are her legs thicker than the other hens legs?
Staffies are softer than you think.

carolbriar

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 16:06 »
Hi Nicky, Sorry to hear about your Speckledy.  Have you tried her on some natural yoghurt since she was on the antibiotics?  I got some Avipro plus that my vet got in for me.  Only gave it to them for about 3 or 4 days.  They are being wormed at the moment in case.  I have also had some days when mine aren't laying as much as they used to hence the worming, louse spray etc.  Don't know what is causing it.
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:19 »
if she is in god health apart from this laying thing then I wouldn't worry too much Nicky. Just out of curiosity are her legs thicker than the other hens legs?

sorry joy only just seen this, no i wouldnt say they were any thicker than the other two, could i ask wot was your thought.  nickyx

joyfull

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 09:33 »
As they get older their legs generally get thicker so wondered if she was noticably thicker legged making her older in which case she could be coming to the end of her egg laying hence the softees etc  :)

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 09:42 »
As they get older their legs generally get thicker so wondered if she was noticably thicker legged making her older in which case she could be coming to the end of her egg laying hence the softees etc  :)

prehaps your right joy in that shes older, i think ive definatley been had as he said the two of them as in the amber star and the speckledy were the same age but there definatley not, i can tell just by looking at the wattles that the amber star is much younger, oh well, not to worry shes here to stay bless her, does that mean i can get another girlie lol lol lol lol  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:  nickyx

joyfull

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 09:44 »
 :nowink: I knew it wouldn't be long before you wanted some more hens - you were just looking for an excuse wasn't you  :lol:

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 09:47 »
:nowink: I knew it wouldn't be long before you wanted some more hens - you were just looking for an excuse wasn't you  :lol:
[/quote

Nah only joking, heres a piccy of her anyway Joy, i dont think the legs look thick, do you think you could guess an age by looking at her, he did assure me she was last yrs bird that started laying towards the end of last yr

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 09:50 »
sorry, but just want to put in a piccy of Stacey as he said they were from the same batch, but clearly she is younger, wouldnt you say

nickyx

joyfull

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 10:05 »
I wouldn't say she was old and yes they probably are the same age (different breeds so different size combs) so you need to sort out her soft laying. Try cutting out all treats for a while and just feed them pellets and hang up a cabbage for them to peck at (this will help them absorb the the calcium)

xx
My newly-laying pullets have suddenly stopped laying!

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 07:44
by New shoot
xx
Intermittent egg laying/ thin shells/ no laying at all

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 25, 2012, 11:34
by Jomtie
xx
Laying then sitting but not laying?

Started by MrTwang on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 21:48
by MrTwang
xx
Not Laying

Started by teresac on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 25, 2007, 13:04
by pushrod

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 36 queries.