LICE!!!!!

• 11 Replies

Brad26

LICE!!!!!
« on: May 15, 2010, 16:46 »
Hi everyone, I'm a newbie who really has had a bit of a bad start, got 3 birds from one breeder and 3 from another breeder. One of the first set had a sneeze and within a few days they all had Mycoplasma and now i'm getting them all injected with Baytrill as the terramycin in the water didn't really help. Hopefully with the antibiotics going straight into them it will have a better result.

However during all of this i also found lice on them.....i've been using the Barrier Louse powder but this is doing nothing and with so many other products out there i thought i'd ask on here to see if anyone can reccomend a particular product that will work.

By the way they are kept in a chicken house with an outdoor run of about 10 X 3 metres and the house gets cleaned out and scrubbed with poultry shield about every 5-6 days.

Many thanks in advance.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: LICE!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 17:03 »
I use frontline spray which as it isn't licenced for poultry I get from my vets - only ever had lice once and that was on a broody so now before I put the eggs under the broody I spray first (broodies are prone to lice). Hope this helps  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 19:45 »
I used the Johnsons pigeon anti mite extra spray and it works a treat.

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2010, 07:26 »
you sound like you have almost the same story as me except you have more chickens. Get frontline spray from your vet it cost me about £25 but seems to have worked. I sprayed them on the back of the neck and two days later I can't see any lice. Result  :)
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2010, 08:43 »
I use the the johnsons anti mite spray same as Ma Lowe, its only a couple of quid, you will get it from all good pet shops.  I find this is good, although once sprayed you will have to spray 7 days later to catch any unhatched eggs.    Frontline is probably the best you can use but it is more expenisve.   Hope you get on top of it all soon and your birds make a recovery.   I got two new girls a couple of weeks ago and within a couple of days one of them got the sniffles so she went on antibiotics in the water (terramycin) but lucky for me this cleared her up.  Fingers crossed.   nickyx
4 girlies,  Nessa, Pamela, Stacey and Tina

skelly

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2010, 08:57 »
Is the frontline stuff the same you would put on your cat or dog?

carolbriar

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2010, 09:24 »
The Frontline stuff is the same as you would use on cats and dogs but you would need the one for kittens (so I have seen mentioned on this forum), the only thing with Frontline is you cannot eat the eggs for a good few days - I'm sure someone will put me right if I have got the wrong end of the stick here.  Another point is that you need to get it from your vets and they will probably make you sign a disclaimer because it is not licensed for chickens :( I will try the Johnsons anti mite spray for pigeons - is there a withdrawal period for eggs with the johnsons one?   I suppose the same with the Barrier mite powder - do you have to withdraw eggs with any of them? Does anyone know?
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2010, 10:00 »
The Frontline stuff is the same as you would use on cats and dogs but you would need the one for kittens (so I have seen mentioned on this forum), the only thing with Frontline is you cannot eat the eggs for a good few days - I'm sure someone will put me right if I have got the wrong end of the stick here.  Another point is that you need to get it from your vets and they will probably make you sign a disclaimer because it is not licensed for chickens :( I will try the Johnsons anti mite spray for pigeons - is there a withdrawal period for eggs with the johnsons one?   I suppose the same with the Barrier mite powder - do you have to withdraw eggs with any of them? Does anyone know?

hi carol, i dont egg withdraw with the johnsons spray or the barrier powders, spray on back of neck under each wing and the vent area ( not on the vent), does the job great.   I did try to get frontline from my vets but he advised against it as not licensed.    Whether you egg withdraw with frontline or not is up to you, the vet will obviously say yes do egg withdraw as they have to say that to cover their own backs but i know people that dont egg withdraw.   Thing is though front line doesnt go into the blood does it so only on the chooks skin so why would you have to egg withdraw if its not entering the system.   Nickyx

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 10:02 »
I don't withdraw from egg eating with frontline, I get the spray from my vets and have to sign for it.

susan - happy hens

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 12:38 »
Hi, I've been having a problem with lice for a while now.  We dust our 3 hens every week but the next week there are a couple of lice on each hen.  I got the frontline combo (I'd read about it here) to use while we are on holiday next month.  How much do I use and will this be ok - I'm a bit worried now that I've got the wrong thing.  Thanks. Susan

nicky d

• Experienced Member
  • super shane
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 13:09 »
I think its the kitten strength one, couple of drops on the back of the neck and thats all.   nickyx

susan - happy hens

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 13:41 »
Thanks for the reply and sorry for jumping in on this posting - its just one of those subjects that keep coming up.  Susan

xx
lice

Started by dennis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 30, 2011, 16:46
by otis pony
xx
Lice

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 14, 2012, 14:13
by Tony H
xx
Lice?

Started by Lardman on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 22:27
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Lice

Started by ChristyRose on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 16:04
by uktitan

Page created in 0.274 seconds with 36 queries.