egg prodution down

• 5 Replies

ivanhoe

egg prodution down
« on: June 12, 2007, 19:20 »
Hi i have been keeping chooks for 1  year. After mouting i was getting between 20 and 22 eggs a day.Now i am down to 9 a day ,what has gone wrong . My chooks are 20 approx 4 years old 12 p.o.l. pullits.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
egg prodution down
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 21:45 »
Have you checked for lice and mites ?  That would cause a reduction in production.  Four year old birds won't lay as many eggs as young birds either.  Do they free range and have found "alternative nests" ?

ivanhoe

egg prudtion down
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:30 »
Hi aunt Sally. Yes they do free range in about 20x100 ft , fully fenced, we cannot find any new nests. Even so, we shoud be getting 12 eggs from the pullits shoud we not . Now their crowns are  not as red as they shoud be, would this be a sign of mites. OR are they  to old at 4 yrs old,is it time to  say goodnight. THanks ivanhoe.

sally c

egg prodution down
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2007, 16:40 »
Hi my chooks are also about 4 years old, egg production was quite good early part of year now almost all are not laying. I was wondering the same is it bye bye time. :cry:  :cry: What do you do with them  :?:  I suppose that they are not edible now.
On a brighter note my broody chicken managed to hatch four of seven eggs with very little help from a nervous me

ivanhoe

egg prodution down
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2007, 10:37 »
Hi sally c. yup i think 4 yrs old, is to old & not worth eating,I have made my mind up its time to say goodbye ,Have ordered 20, 1 yr olds,  hope you have luck with the new chicks,  good luck ivanhoe.

ivanhoe

Re: egg prodution down
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 10:58 »
Quote from: "ivanhoe"
Hi i have been keeping chooks for 1  year. After mouting i was getting between 20 and 22 eggs a day.Now i am down to 9 a day ,what has gone wrong . My chooks are 20 approx 4 years old 12 p.o.l. pullits.
EXPERT= x is  a has been, pert is a drip under pressure.

Page created in 0.253 seconds with 35 queries.