chicken crop- do I have a problem?

• 5 Replies

jhub

• jane
chicken crop- do I have a problem?
« on: May 03, 2010, 08:24 »
Hello again,
thanks to your advice my chooks are finding their way into their eglu cube and now allow me to handle them hence this question.
 I read on this forum that their crops should be empty in the mornings however 2 of them have some food left when I checked yesterday and today~ consistency rather like dough from the fridge. They appear chicken~happy and eat well. I feed them layers and greens in the morning and mixed corn in the afternoon with a small handful of sultanas or mealy worms later- I tend to take a few greens with me each time I visit so they get to 'know me'
First egg yesterday~ how exciting!!

Anyway back to the crop- is this a problem??
I am grateful for all of your advice and feel so reassured having experienced chicken people to turn to.
Jane

Ribbit

Re: chicken crop- do I have a problem?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 08:52 »
Is the crop fully full or is it only got a bit? Have you got grit that can help them grind up their food? I'm not a very experienced keeper at all but just checking these things. They need grit that isn't oyster shell to help them grind up there food, Oyster shell is for calcium for the egg shells I hope this helps a little :D
It's like America...But south!

jhub

• jane
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 09:16 »
Hello Ribbit

yes they have both grit and oystershell~ should have mentioned that.
No, the crops aren't full, smaller than a golf ball I guess.
thanks
Jane

Maccbean

• Experienced Member
    • My Bigger Picture Photo Gifts
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 11:24 »
As someone who has experienced an impacted crop, I know how easy it is to get paranoid about your chooks.  If there was a problem, Ihe crop will just get bigger and bigger, whilst the hen gets thinner, and the hen would not be happy.  I'm sure yours are just fine.:D

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2010, 11:43 »
As someone who has experienced an impacted crop, I know how easy it is to get paranoid about your chooks.  If there was a problem, Ihe crop will just get bigger and bigger, whilst the hen gets thinner, and the hen would not be happy.  I'm sure yours are just fine.:D

I'd agree nothing to worry about here and possibly due to them eating their litter if they aren't let out early enough.

I would say that I think you are giving them far too many treats and I'd just have layers pellets on tap all the time and just limit treats (corn and meal worms) to the evening only and a handful each.  Meal worms are protein rich and if they free range during the day I'd limit their intake of these to just hand fed treets ocassionally.  If they don't graze on grass then a few greens are ok to but later in the day so they get the balance they need from the pellets first.

It's really important that they get low energy density food as their stable diet as if you give them too much high energy food (any processed house hold scraps or sultanas for example) that disturbes their natural ability to regulate their food intake and they will become overweight as well as induce behavioural problems.  Chickens are foragers and eat lots of low energy value food naturally and you need to replicate that so they keep active and alert scrating about. Too much too easily may seem kind, but leads to obesity and boredom and developing bad habits like feather pecking etc.

Best wishes
HF
« Last Edit: May 03, 2010, 11:52 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 14:55 »
many thanks for your kind advice and I feel very relieved. They don't free range at present hence the greens but I take on board your comments about treats and will reduce them accordingly. Can't believe that I don't mind getting up at 6-30 to sort them out- am sure I will feel differently in the depths of winter.
Ta
Jane

xx
crop problem

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 13:26
by Wildeone
xx
possible crop problem

Started by KathyH on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 19:38
by KathyH
xx
Crop problem???

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2012, 02:49
by Tony H
xx
crop problem

Started by katieh on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post January 21, 2012, 08:48
by Tony H

Page created in 0.243 seconds with 34 queries.