Laying less eggs

• 4 Replies

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
Laying less eggs
« on: May 01, 2010, 10:33 »
Hello,

We have 3 ex bats who have been wonderful layers since we got them in Aug 09. They layed all through the winter ad about 5 weeks ago we had 18 eggs from the 3 of them in 1 week - our highest since the summer months.  However ever since then, the egg laying has startd to drop off - for the last 5 weeks we've had a maximum of 2 eggs a day and more often just 1 - last week was our lowest yet with just 10 eggs.  Occasionally we get a very pale egg, almost white. 
If we got them in August - we've had them 9 months so I'm estimating they are between 2-3 years old - could they be coming to the end of lay?

Cat

themagicaltoad1

Re: Laying less eggs
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 10:41 »
They're already past their best laying by the time you get them, which is why the farmers get rid of them. Any eggs are a bonus from ex batts, it's just nice to be able to give them a decent end to a horrible life. I don't have ex batts myself but have great respect for those who take them in, poor birds.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 10:42 »
Hybrids are bred to lay for upto 2 years (after 18 months they start to slow down and also produce odd shapes, wrinkled, soft or thin shelled etc) so yes they will be slowing down. Most farmers are now getting rid of their layers at just 65 weeks old  :(.
They can still go on laying the odd eggs for a couple of years  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

CattinJ

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 10:49 »
Thanks guys - I suspected as much....
Love them to bits so it doesn't matter too much - as long as they're happy!

To the MagicalToad - I'd never kept hens before and although it was stressful at the start I think that was bcause we were new to the whole game rather than because they were ex bats - I thoroughly recommend taking some ex bats in - it makes me happy every day to see them improving and learning new things. Mine have only recently learned to perch and I'm like a proud mum! 

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 13:00 »
We went for 3 bantams to start with.  This year hatched 4 bantam chicks to add to our brood and that will be our total. I'd love to take in some ex batts but we just don't have the room and I think my wife will divorce me if I get anymore "pets". :D

xx
Hen laying 2 eggs

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 04, 2011, 12:56
by redjane11
xx
laying eggs in odd places

Started by Tigerwren on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 29, 2011, 16:34
by Tigerwren
xx
laying eggs in the winter

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post November 11, 2007, 22:57
by splodger
xx
Granulate for laying eggs: yes or no

Started by Silkychicks on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 09:53
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.244 seconds with 39 queries.