Urgent attention needed folks

• 6 Replies

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« on: May 23, 2007, 22:30 »
I have recently hatched 2 chicks in an incubator, 1 came out a day before the other, and it had a little red bulb thing around its hole, I think it was the yolk sack but small and red. The next day it had gone and the chick is now fine, it is 3 days old... when the 2nd came out it had a little red bulb thing aswell just the same as the 1st chick, but the 1st chick went and pecked at it and it burst, lots of yolk came out of the chick and I thought it would die. It has perked up now and the mess has dropped off, it has trouble walking with one of its feet having wonky toes. Its not eating, we (my partner and I) keep helping it to have a drink but its poos are just water too. What should we do????? Also we have to keep the chicks seperate as the 1st chick is stronger and keeps going for the smaller one pecking at it, why would it be doing this at such a young age?     Any help would be great.. Thanks for looking, but even better if you can help.... :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 23:07 »
Its times like this when we need Munty.  We have 64 chooks Mark, but I have no knowledge of chicks I'm afraid, hopefully someone will have an answer for you soon..  Hope the little ones are okay, shame the bigger one tries to bully the other isn't it?

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 02:25 »
unfortunatly your chick has what is called crooked toe it is only found on chicks hatched in an incubator it is associated with incorrect humidity. there is no cure and it will in 98% of cases die on its own better to put it down ( sharp tap on back of head is better with chick not neck pull as head will come of) sorry brutal but true.
the bullying is nature ( the strong survive)
you might keep the chick alive for a month maybe but in all chances it will die i have personaly never known one to live beyond a month. you were right about the red buld this is unabsorbed yolk, did you by chance give them a helping hand out of there shell ?
alan.

mercury

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 11:48 »
Allan is right mark :(

Gardening Mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 12:38 »
Thanks for your advice Alan, I will see to it strait away, I'm not looking forward to it though... Seems wierd as I'm also a fisherman and have no problem killing 10lb Salmon. I did not help the first it came out naturally but sort of helped the second, as the last time I tried it I hatched 1 and the 2nd died trying to get out. We didnt want that happening again. I'm never going to try this again, I hace 3 bantams and all are clocking at the min ( I will seperate the 2 like you said, when I'm up there later)... I will let them go natural from now on. Once again thanks Alan..

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 16:16 »
yes i am a fisherman also and it is a lot diffrent killing a chick than a fish. i am glad you realise that if you set eggs to hatch it is your responsibility to end any sufering and if your not prepered to do this then dont set eggs. deep breath tap on head and remember you did the right thing by the dird.
good luck
alan

alan42

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 16:22 »
forgot to say never ever help the chicks from the egg it causes so much stress to the chick and leaves them open to infections raise the humi
dity if in incubator. the egg sack must be fully absorbed when the chick hatches if you see the bulb as you put it then it is not absorbed properly, thats what made me think you had helped a bit lol.
alan
setting an incubator is a lot harder than puting under a hen.

xx
Urgent Help needed

Started by Hooee on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post March 18, 2010, 20:25
by hillfooter
xx
urgent help needed

Started by naturesparadise on The Hen House

100 Replies
Last post September 20, 2008, 10:28
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
URGENT HELP NEEDED!

Started by fenella on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post December 16, 2010, 10:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
urgent help needed

Started by purplebat on The Hen House

32 Replies
Last post May 14, 2007, 14:41
by xx bluey xx

Page created in 0.22 seconds with 31 queries.