Christmas mixture (1)

• 6 Replies

ehs284

Christmas mixture (1)
« on: December 18, 2009, 17:14 »
Hi folks, hope you don't mind a message in 4 parts so I can get a few pictures in.
Because a few people have asked about chook houses, I thought that the idea may be of interest. Basically I built a block shed with a concrete floor and a plastic roof. We live at the top of a hill in windy North Wales; in a less windy area perhaps a wooden shed would be just as good. Inside the shed is the coop made of plywood, scant and MDF. The front is of thick ply and is the only part with any exposure to weather. It is bolted to the opeing in the shed, so can be unbolted for a twice a year pressure wash and refurbish if necessary. The coop is on wheels so that once unbolted it can be rolled out. This allows repairs, extensions, daily cleaning and changes in ventilation to be made without any risk from preditors or vermin.
Picture one shows the pop-hole and front access door. Plastic floor sheets are out, but you can see that there is an entrance hall with a step up to the perch area. This helps cleaning and stops draughts. Picture two shows the thick ply sliding door for human access at the side.
pop-hole and cleaning access.jpg
pop-hole and sliding door.jpg

ehs284

Re: Christmas mixture (2)
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 17:20 »
The next two photos show the wheels and the food and water trays for the birds whilst in the coop. The big feeder and piped water are outside in the covered part of the run. By hanging the trays outside the spillage is to the outside, but still in the shed, and there is no danger of poo in the food. The cut out in the side of the coop is big enought to reach in and scrape away poo daily and wash weekly. The floor and sides are cheap PVC tiles.
side_external foodwater.jpg
wheels on coop.jpg

ehs284

Re: Christmas mixture (3)
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 17:28 »
Two weeks ago we were given four beautiful warrens by Tricky - very many thanks. They are twice the size of our original warrens and blackrocks! We had the expected sorting out problems but things are settling down nicely now. Odd nights when tucking them up I found one or two still on the floor or perching on the side of the nestbox (this is the link to questions on sleeping in the nestbox or getting poo in it). When I lifted the late-comers onto the perches they settled and there was no poo in the box. It finally dawned on me that Tricky's big birds might be having trouble getting onto the perch - so out with the saw and here are the before and after pics.
original perches.jpg
modifications.jpg

ehs284

Re: Christmas mixture (4)
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 17:34 »
Well, the proof of the pudding, as they say, is.....
The changes were made; the birds left to find their way in and hop onto the perches themselves. They all did so and the next box is pristine.
I'm very new to chook keeping and the advice on this site has been a lifesaver, so although I have no expertise, perhaps some of these comments might help people starting or trying to problem solve.
nesting box.jpg
tobed.jpg

noshed

Re: Christmas mixture (1)
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 22:19 »
They look very happy
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

lucylou

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 23:52 »
wow! a lot of thought has gone into your coop :D it looks great and your girls look lovely and alert - looks like they were all having a chin wag and you disturbed them :D

newChickenMummy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 10:19 »
All looks lovely and your girls are so cute! We have a crappy cheap coop which we bought before ever keeping chickens, we are going to build another one next summer, yours looks great!  :tongue2:

xx
Christmas Egg!!

Started by mdueal on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post January 05, 2008, 19:50
by Selkie
xx
Eggs for Christmas

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post December 13, 2008, 10:55
by Blarney
xx
Christmas turkeys

Started by dan808 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2013, 08:51
by ANHBUC
xx
Christmas chooks with pic now

Started by chuckmum on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post December 14, 2009, 14:18
by Beano

Page created in 0.232 seconds with 36 queries.