thick or stubborn

• 10 Replies

peter o

thick or stubborn
« on: November 19, 2009, 07:13 »
I've been putting a board in to block of the nest boxes at night about 4pm when I get home from work, but now it's getting dark at that time so most of my chooks are in. They Insist in going into the nest boxes even though I lift them back out and put the board in.
They just dont seem to learn. I've a feeling I'll give up before them.
Any suggestions? :wub:

Bigblacktaximan

Re: thick or stubborn
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 08:51 »
Keep doing what you're doing,
Or..
Accept that you'll have to clean out the nest boxes,

I'm afraid they dont seem to learn  :(

scrappydoo

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 10:15 »
I've been putting a board in to block of the nest boxes at night about 4pm when I get home from work, but now it's getting dark at that time so most of my chooks are in. They Insist in going into the nest boxes even though I lift them back out and put the board in.
They just dont seem to learn. I've a feeling I'll give up before them.
Any suggestions? :wub:

Hi Peter
          Like you it used to bother me for the first few weeks, but yes occasionally they do still sleep in the nest box's and sometimes poop  :mad: in there, but it is getting less as they use the perches more. I don't bother boarding the nest box's at night.

Best Regards

Steve
Groucho Marx:
Chicken? What about chicken? Why, I had an uncle who thought he was one. My aunt almost divorced him, but we needed the egg

viettaclark

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2009, 16:09 »
I have to look every night and usually there is one, sometimes two in the nest box. It only takes a minute to shift them. Sometimes a week goes by without them being bad :nowink: but you mustn't get complacent...keep doing the nest box check. Sounds like a dance....!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 16:43 »
Let me think - comfy, warm nest box / cold, hard, uncomfy stick Hmm....  Which shall I choose  ::)

Rubellite

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 18:29 »
Let me think - comfy, warm nest box / cold, hard, uncomfy stick Hmm....  Which shall I choose  ::)

:lol: ::) :lol:

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 09:38 »
My hens rotate and take turns sleeping in the nest boxes.  I just whip on my trusty rubber gloves in the morning and scoop out the poo onto the newspaper that I have under the roosting pole and then roll up the paper for the compost.  Quick and easy.  Hope this helps!
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

IMOmimey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2009, 00:09 »
hee hee most of mine learnt in the end, but Terence (Nigel) my NEW croad Langshan (courtesy of Terry-thanks again Terry, soooo much, he's gorgeous :D) insists on squashing his HUGE body into a small nest box with his wife. I don't think he knows how big he is, and still growing. He's gonna be the size of an ostrich at this rate, bless him, I am so glad he is placid and friendly.
Pets:if you don't love them like family, don't have them

karlooben

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2009, 09:15 »
all my girls perch now and i do manage to cover over what i call uncomfy nest boxes  :lol: but i still cover them over , this morning i have even cleaned my poo sheets clean that are under the perches and covered them with printing blankets so all i do now is wipe clean not scrap the poo away .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Jane-M

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2009, 10:01 »
Looby what are printing blankets? sounds good to me.
3 o'clock is both too early and too late to start anything - Sartre said so.

karlooben

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 16:25 »
 :lol: i knew someone would ask that , they are sheets of a thick fabric dont ask me tpye  that metal printing plates get scanned onto then the blankets go though a massive machine an prints of whats on the sheet its all very complicated , they make very expensive poo sheets though as each one costs my firm £6o  :lol:dont tell the boss  :ohmy:. i have had to wash them a few times though as they have had chemicals on them

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 32 queries.