Still air incubators and humidity!!!

• 7 Replies

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Still air incubators and humidity!!!
« on: September 24, 2009, 20:19 »
Having just splashed out £17 on a digital hygrometer...... I have now read that it is difficult to measure humidity in a still air incubator :(

I have a hovabator and its running at 63% ..... but how do I know if this is accurate :(

It was the hovabator incubation guide that said this...... but gave no way of doing it accurately.

I have 7 silkie eggs due to go into it tonight to hatch on sunday..... I am worried :(

Thanks for any replies :)
I love Pekins, Polands and Seramas :) and eggs!!!

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
Re: Still air incubators and humidity!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2009, 09:54 »
Anyone???  :(

too many girls

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 10:00 »
i have a still air incy as well as a forced air one, i wasn't aware that the digital hydrometor was inacurate in the still air, i've had good hatches from both, i wouldn't worry about it too much.

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 21:59 »
Thanks TMG... Its a shame its so late in the year now..... I wont be able to try either bator out properly till next spring ...... such a long way away :(

I will experiment then :)

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2009, 22:12 »
With my still air incubator I never bothered much with humidity, I used one of the hydrometers but that was more for getting the temperature right.
I put water in when I put the eggs in and then filled it up again when they where due to hatch.

Michelle xx
http://www.woodside-farm-chickens.webs.com/
*-:¦:-•*quis goes inter*•-:¦:-•:* adveho inter*•-:¦:-*

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2009, 22:47 »
Thanks Michelle.....

I think I over analyse it all to be honest..... looking for reasons why my hatch rate has been a bit hit and miss.

I seem to get about 20% dead in shell, fully formed but shrink wrapped.......  hence the ocd with the humidity.

I have 7 silkies due to hatch on sunday and I am desperate for them to all make it.... I know they are still viable as I candled them for the last time yesterday .... but am terrified they will die when hatching.

The chicks that hatched last saturday.... one hatched fine... two pipped, but had to be helped to get out of shell as membranes were too tough.... and three were dead in shell without pipping, but fully formed.

I feel so sad that they went so far and fell at the last :(  Especially if it could be my lack of experience that killed them :(

woodside farm

• Experienced Member
    • Poultry Auction
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2009, 22:56 »
Hi,
it might be that you are candeling them too much, I candel mine at 5 - 7 days and thats it, what incubator do you have? I have only ever used Brinsea and in my old still air incubators I used to fill them with warm water the dy before they where due to hatch (so tomorrow).
It is a lot of hit and miss though, you need to find out for yourself, if you get a good hatch stick to that method and don't try to get it better.
I now have a Brinsea Ova Easy 380, the digital temp reading keeps that right, but with the humidity I still put water in when I put eggs in and again when they are due to hatch and don't take much notice of the humidity reading, I even had two duckling hatch two days early with humidity reading 40%.
Let us know how you get on.

Michelle xx

Chookiechook

• riverside quails
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2009, 12:56 »
I candled the chickens eggs about six  times during the 21 days :(  But the quails eggs I only candle on day 13 to see if any are non starters..... no point in looking for any other reason as I cant see through the spots :(

The silkie eggs got candled more than usual because I turned the bator off overnight by mistake early on, and I needed to know if I had killed them all.... :(

I have a Brinsea Polyhatch autoturning one..... but have only had it for a couple of weeks and a Hovabator non auto one which I am using for the actual hatch itself.  I also have, but am no longer using, a cheap ebay polybox with light and thermostat..... this is what I have hatched most of the quail in, so not sure if that could be the reason for some of the failures.

It has been a fun summer though.... and I have learned loads already.... next year should be better :)

thanks for the reply and the advice :)

xx
humidity for incubators?

Started by lisa80 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 11:18
by lisa80
xx
Humidity in incubators??

Started by Chookiechook on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 19, 2009, 11:22
by Chookiechook
xx
Humidity for incubators

Started by gsc on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 24, 2010, 06:19
by gsc
xx
Incubators - Calibrating Humidity

Started by gsc on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 20:51
by cluckingnuts

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.