Really need some advice

• 3 Replies

jackieb

Really need some advice
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:18 »
Sorry to address this again but I am really having some problems with bullying.

The story so far, pecking order of the oldies Rosie, Penny, Geraldine, Bella. I introducted Daisy and Lily by keeping them seperate within the run on 22nd August, last Saturday 29th we let them run together in the walk in run.

No major fights but there has been a bit of comb pulling and a worrying amount of feather pulling and this is mainly from Bella who was bottom of the order before.

I have put vaseline on Daisy's comb but she almost has a bald head where Bella is pulling her feathers out. I have now put some vaseline on the feathers around her comb in the hope that Bella wont be able to get a grip.

Should I seperate them all out again or will that just put it back to day 1 when I put them all in together again? I can't free range them so that's just not an option to help with the introductions.

Rosie, Penny and Geraldine have the odd nip or stand off with them but it's Bellas bullying that really upsetting, Bella is still getting picked on occasionally by Rosie.

They are all ex-batts and are in a 15 x 6 run with perches and dust bath. The new girls move away from the many food stations when the others home in on them and this seems to stop any further advances but Bella is relentless and I guess she has worked out that Daisy is going to be bottom of the order.

Please - what should I do, this is heartbreaking!

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Really need some advice
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 07:42 »
Hopefully someone who knows a bit more about chickens will be along soon but there does seem to be a lot of posts like this. What most seem to recommend is sticking it out if you can, providing no lasting damage is getting done. Does sound like Bella is not planning on remaining at the bottom of the pecking order and once the have all worked out their places things should settle down. From all accounts this can take a couple of weeks so try and hang in there. The alternative would be to separate them again but you may just end up in the same posistion.

You could also look at fitting Bella with an antipeck ring if she is the main culprit.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

SMD66

• sunrise over the canal
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 07:58 »
after 10 days ours all settled down, as long as there is no blood drawn I think they will settle soon. 
Music self played is pleasure self made
Samantha :)

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:44 »
Try the separation again for another week, place the feeder close to each other on each side of the dividing wire. When you do introduce them again, do it at night and see how they are in the morning. Bella is acting up because she feels defensive being the bottom hen in your original flock. :) It will sort itself out so dont worry! It can take a while though! Plenty of feeders and distractions in the run will help.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice Please....

Started by lukasmum on The Hen House

20 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 20:56
by lukasmum
xx
hen run advice

Started by john d on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post March 13, 2018, 09:59
by rowbow
xx
advice please

Started by dawnie77 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 14, 2011, 21:39
by dawnie77

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 34 queries.