how many hens and what size run??? and what sort are best

• 28 Replies

newatthis

• Experienced Member
hello, i have a few question to ask
1, im planing on building(well my other half is doing the digging), 12ft by 9ftish
with railway sleepers as the anti fox dug in full depth...and aivary panels on the sides and front and a soild wood back...

2, im planing on having 4 hens med size is this ok for the size of planed run???

3, what sort of hen would be best, i was planing on ex-batt hens but was told dont waste your money as you will have to replace them sooner than later...

and i think thats it for now, any replys would be welcome... thankyou
zoe pattinson :)

poultrygeist

Re: how many hens and what size run??? and what sort are best
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 20:32 »
Hi newatthis.  :)

Your run sounds good. A roof to keep it dry would be a good idea. The ground ferments when it's full of chicken poo and gets wet. Not a good look. :D

It's fine for 4.

Ex-batts are great if you don't mind a lack of eggs (although you will get some) since they're basically in retirement. They may not live long but will be a whole lot happier in your run (and out of it sometimes if you can manage it) but if you want a supply of eggs, go for hybrids.
I'll leave the choice of breeds to someone else  :D

Rob 8)

karlooben

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 20:46 »
u can mix both hybids an ex batts but i would suggst you get a few ex batts first then slowly over time reintroduce other birds ...

my ex batts must be coming up to almost 2 yrs old now an pretty much all 16 are in lay every day ,i have had the odd days where i dont get many eggs but they soon pick up .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

raeburg

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 20:48 »
Agree with Rob that a roof is a very good idea - I used corrugated perspex fixed at a slight angle so that water drains off it.  My ex bats have been a good introduction to hen keeping, but if you are looking for a steady supply of eggs I'd get some point of lay hybrids.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 21:18 »
thankyou i will ad a roof to my plans..i  do have some roofing that i had on my bird aivarys so will re do plans on roof.. may be get 2 ex-batt hens and may get 2 point of lay hens and see how things go, but a big thankyou for your ideas( i did forget the roof, was going to use netting, but soild roof on part of it would be better)

dizzylizzie

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2009, 21:35 »
Hi, ive only been owned by chickens for a week, but it depends what you want from them . if you want meat , or eggs, or both i wouldnt go for ex-batts....but if you want to liberate some girls out of their cages, then they are the girls for you. We have had 6 ex-batts, and we have had 31 eggs since last sunday....and 1of them hasnt laid since wed as she hasnt been well. so im pretty pleased with that. ex-batts are not for everyone tho, and im sure some one will be along shortly who knows what they are talking about( not me  :D) and will be able to advise you which chikens are best for which purpose. what ever you have them for im sure you'll enjoy them , they are great fun to watch and really friendly x

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2009, 21:47 »
hi, i would just like eggs, not meat, i do eat chicken dont get me wrong, but to look at my hens and then have them killed ready for sunday dinner  :( ...yuck no thanks, just eggs thankyou  :)

nzdunn

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 22:38 »
Hello your hen house/run sounds like its gonna be lovely,  on the subject of breeds of hens, i have cuckoo marans, ive just got a black rock and a barnevelder, the black rock is a hybrid and she is a fantastic girl, very good looking aswell, shes very friendly and loves nothing else than foraging for anything she can get her beak into, mine has just started laying but i have read that they are great egg providers.  Ive posted a couple of piccys so you can see a black rock.     

Here is cassie (black rock)

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2009, 23:01 »
hi, very nice pic's, i do like the look of them, i will wait and see, are they med or large birds?, as im only having 4 birds, i dont want anything to big then i would have to cut back on the birds (as asking my other half to make the run bigger may be taking the p, a bit) ha ha, as he has to do all the digging...

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 07:02 »
I have a black rock (she's my favourite - but dont tell the others  :lol:), brilliant layer, very tame and placid, they are not enormous birds like orpingtons,  lovely personality and I would recommend to anybody to have these, (infact I did - to Nicky who went straight out to get cassie).   :lol: :lol:
Staffies are softer than you think.

newatthis

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 07:49 »
ok, i think it will be black rocks does anyone know where i can get some (2) from and what prices are they please, thankyou

joyfull

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2009, 07:55 »
If you go to the top of this page and click on the poultry pages. There you will find another tab for poultry suppliers, click on that then scroll down and on the right hand side there is a list of regions. click on east midlands. Scoll down and you will come to Northants, there is at least one seller who sells blackrocks - I don't know what their birds are like but may be worth a visit  :D

matron

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2009, 08:07 »
We currently have Light Sussex but they have been hit and miss with laying and we didn't have any eggs from end of October until beginning of March.
We have just ordered 6 Warrens which will be ready in 2 weeks as point of lay.
Look in your local paper for suppliers too - that's where we got ours from. I suppose it does depend how rural you are if there are any adverts in, we are middle of no-where and have quite a few adverts.  :D

nzdunn

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 10:14 »
I have a black rock (she's my favourite - but dont tell the others  :lol:), brilliant layer, very tame and placid, they are not enormous birds like orpingtons,  lovely personality and I would recommend to anybody to have these, (infact I did - to Nicky who went straight out to get cassie).   :lol: :lol:

I blame you heheheheheheh  nickyx

joyfull

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 10:17 »
so glad that you're pleased with her - told you that you wouldn't regret it  :lol: :lol:

xx
How Many Hens for my Size of House & Run?

Started by Timbo47 on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 19:16
by rcandy2001
xx
Size enclosure for 2 hens

Started by dan_parsons on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 06, 2011, 20:05
by Jacinta
xx
Perch size & Nest box size

Started by geoffwales on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 20:22
by karlooben
xx
What sort should I get?

Started by Mr R Design on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post April 29, 2015, 19:22
by Jomtie

Page created in 0.258 seconds with 36 queries.