Goose getting better - Thank you :)

• 33 Replies

Vi

Goose getting better - Thank you :)
« on: August 04, 2009, 06:52 »
Hi,

I think my chicken is egg bound, i'd like to try to help her get unstuck and hope that that is in fact what's got her looking unhappy. 

I'd take her to the vet but i have no vehicle for the next 3 days and have to make do as best as i can. (i live 10kms from anywhere and walking that far would take way too long).

She hasn't laid an egg since Friday (it's tuesday now). I had a feel under her bottom but didn't feel anything like an egg I didn't feel inside her cloaca though (not yet) 

She did seem to have a sensitive vent area though when I had another feel today. 

She's spent a lot of time in the laying area of her house today and left it when i had a look to see if she was okay (and take the other two eggs there)  Then she left the house and sat under it for a while.  now she's under a shrub, standing. looking underneath herself now and again but just standing there.  Usually she's our 'top' hen.

I saw her poop but it looked like it might have been broken egg only really liquid.  I looked where it all landed but there was no yolk and there was a fair bit of white there.

Yesterday when she gave up trying to lay, her vent area was quite wet not pooy just wet. I should have clued in then but the penny drops slowly sometimes.

Other info about her is: comb and wattle paler but not pale just not as vibrant of red, though that could be my imagination since i know something is wrong anyway. the other's look fine. and have the same colour wattle and comb.  Her tail is isn't upright any more, downish. not droopy though. Her wings are still folded neatly at her side.  She doesn't seem to be interested in food but i've seen her drinking today. and she tested a piece of cheese i held out to her but didn't really eat it.

I've had a scan of 'egg bound' topics in the forum and would like to try to lube her cloaca and put her in the warm water.  I've got a couple questions though before I set out to do this. 

Someone said the temp should be about 42 degrees do I presume Celcius?  and how long should I have her in the water?  Unfortunately I don't have enough experience to use my own judgement in this case.  Also how far in her cloaca is an egg usually stuck?  (more to the point, how far should I expect to have to put my finger?)  I'm also going to give them worming medication once i've got access to a vehicle to get some.

Is this going to stress the bird out? sticking my finger where it has no business then giving her a bath?  I suppose it's better stressed than fatal.

thank you for you help.
Vi

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 02:33 by Vi »

agapanthus

Re: I think Goose is egg bound
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2009, 09:21 »
I think you'd have to leave her for a few minutes to let the water 'do it's thing'. Don't forget to grease your finger well. There's no real way to say how far you have to insert your finger.....just ease it through gently and you should feel it. Good luck!

Vi

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2009, 09:33 »
Hi there,

Thank you for replying.  I hate to be daft but when you say a few minutes, am I looking at 5 minutes ish or closer to 15 minutes or a half hour?  I'm really sorry.  Like I said, I have nothing to base a decent judgement call on.

Thank you :)

Vi

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2009, 09:41 »
leave her in warm water for half an hour. Try a calcium tablet too, just the ones from your local chemist will do pop it in her water or a few ccs of calcium liquid with a syringe.

Vi

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2009, 10:31 »
Again thank you.  It's 7:30pm now and the chooks have gone to bed. I'll check her inside and give her a warm bath tomorrow morning.  I'm not so sure now that she is egg bound, her undercarriage feels the same as the other girls.  I'm wondering if she's just feeling the heat more than the rest.  Which is a concern because we're still in winter - albeit late winter perhaps early spring - the nights are cool at 12 - 14C or so and the days have been up to 24 C or so.  I'm going to need to find a way to help them deal with summer when it arrives if she's struggling now there could be issues.  Will have to make sure there's plenty of shade and lots of cool water. 

On Thursday I'll have a vehicle and can get the worming meds and if she's still looking crook i can take her to the vet.  I hope she can hold out. 

Vi

Vi

Couldn't find an egg
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2009, 23:18 »
Hi there,

I couldn't find an egg in goose but I put the oil in her vent anyway and gave her a warm sitz bath for about 25 min then she started to get figity.  I dried her off and put her in her pen where she's sulking a bit. 

She pooed all over me (good thing i had my grubby clothes on) and it looked like baby sick, watery with what looked like curdled milk.

any other ideas?  I'll have the car tomorrow morning and can take her in to be checked but i'd like to keep trying in case she doesn't make the night.  She doesn't look that sick but i tend to worry anyway, especially since chooks are known for hiding symptoms until its really bad.

thank you
Vi

Vi

Goose has been to the vet now
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 03:04 »
I found a vet that would see Goose while I had access to the car.  I'm not convinced the vet really knew what she was on about.  $64 later i've been sent home with Avitrol Plus a bird wormer syrup for ornamental caged birds. 

The box says 10mg/ml Levamisole hydrochloride equivalent to 8.48 mg/ml levamisole base.  2mg/ml praziquantel.

The dosage recommended is 12 drops in 20ml water (per bird) based on 30g average bodyweight and consumption of 5ml of liquid per day.    SO..... here's my question.

Since my adult birds are much closer to 1 kilo in weight do i need more than 12 drops per bird? 

I've just spoken with the vet and had a very circular conversation (frustrating).
I've asked her.. if my birds are nearly a kilo in weight does that mean they need more than 12 drops each.  She said "yes, you should put 12 drops in 20 ml of water per bird". 

what?

Does anyone know if the 'based on an average bodyweight of 30g and consumption of 5ml of liquid per day' means anything that i need to know for the dosage? or should i just go with the flow and give the 12 drops per bird?

I'd love some clarification from people who actually know a bit about chickens. no disrespect to the vet but i think the speciality there is for dogs and cats. 

thank you
Vi

kitkat

• Experienced Member
Sorry Vi, that confused me as well, but i hope Goose gets better. Perhaps someone else will understand it better :)
We have 17 chickens, 3 quail, 2 dogs, 3 cats and that's enough (for this week)

Foxy

sounds like the dosage is for ornamental birds??? So I would increase the dosage to reflect actual weight. Can you buy flubenvent where you are?
Also, I am not sure that worms are the root of her problem, granted it is avisable to adopt a regular worming regime, however, the "curdled" look of the droppings amy indicate an egg has broken inside. The normal treatment for that is antibiotics to prevent infection.

Vi

thank you so much, i thought i was loosing my mind for a bit. I'll increase the ratio accordingly.  I thought that might be the case but not being a medico i wanted to double check.

I've still got antibiotics from before, can I give her antibiotics and de-wormer at the same time or is that too much for the poor soul?  I've got her in a chicken tractor on her own so I can make sure she's getting enough medicine.

Is there anything else I can do for her besides give antibiotics?  Should I do the warm bath and the internal oil again?

I had her in the bathroom yesterday and overnight to keep her calm and still. She didn't move much but I managed to get her to drink a little bit and eat a tablespoon of tuna and about a half a piece of bread crust over the day and this morning.  I let her wander in the sun for the day today after the vet visit.   

She was a bit perkier today for short spells. But her tail feathers are markedly pointed down and she lost her balance a couple times.  I showed the poos to the vet and she just recommended de-worming.  She had a feel under her belly a couple times but said no egg to be found. 

If chickens have me this worried when they're sick, how will i be with bub when he/she arrives in two weeks!!!! (or so)  sheesh

thank you for any help
Vi

Foxy

Yes Vi I would give the antibiotics and the wormer, should be OK. Avoid any internal exam. as there is a risk of introducing infection. The warm baths are fine, I would add a little salt too, and if there is another egg on its way it will make things easier.
Oh and good luck with your baby! :D

Vi

Thank you!

I'll start her on antibiotics tomorrow morning (they're in bed now) and i'll give her a warm bath in the afternoon when the sun is out.  Fingers eyes and toes crossed.  I'll cry if she dies.  (I'm a bleeding heart to begin with, & the hormones don't help :) )

I forgot to answer you about Flubenvet.  I'm not sure if it's available here, but the produce place has a product available that's for chooks, I'll try the vets one for now and keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help.
Vi

Foxy

I am sure the wormer is OK, just might take a while figuring out the dosage!
However, sounds like you could do with a nice warm bath too! Take care and mind those hormones!xx :D :D

Vi

oh a warm bath... how lovely would that be!!!!!   :wub:  <-- me visualizing a warm bath for me... :)

too bad for the drought and being on tank water.  Maybe a hot chocolate and a big bunny rug :)

thanks Foxy

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Drought?? you can borrow some of our water - it's rained everyday for ages  :lol:
Enjoy your hot chocolate.
Staffies are softer than you think.

xx
Goose Egg

Started by Vember on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:52
by Vember
xx
Goose egg

Started by slowef on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:21
by Stree
xx
How Do You Sex A Goose

Started by dangolding on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 10:24
by Bodger
xx
goose value!

Started by megkaya on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post June 16, 2015, 11:51
by megkaya

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 37 queries.