does broody hen know the answer?

• 2 Replies

Mrs Taylor

does broody hen know the answer?
« on: August 01, 2009, 10:05 »
I have an experienced little bantam,  who went broody last week, so I purchased on ebay 6 lavender pekin bantam eggs for her, they arrived intact, so I took hem out to her, removed the china eggs, gave her a drink food and she had a dust bath and back to the nest to find her new eggs. :)
She pulled them all in under her and sat tight as usual...she is such a good mum....Went out this morning to let the chooks out and she rushed out too....quite shocked,  :ohmy:
looked in to find only one egg in the nest and the rest rejected.....question is does she know at this early stage they are not fertile?
I put all the eggs back in the nest and she had a drink and came back in and sat on them all again.....will she reject them again if they are not fertile or has somthing put her off, she is normally bomb proff and nothing has put her of before

happychickens

Re: does broody hen know the answer?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 13:00 »
One of my broody hens broke one of the eggs and sat on the other two - all of which have been removed, the chicken washed and put back with a pot egg.  However a friend did have a chicken that would only sit on two eggs at a time - maybe that is to many for her to cope with  hopefully not though - guess time will tell   Good Luck :)

snowflake

• Experienced Member
Re: does broody hen know the answer?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 13:17 »
boodys are a sitting target for lice and mites.
as she had a dust bath she could be bothered by them, perhaps redo the nest box give it a good clean out spray etc fresh bedding and give her drops like frontline to help her.
hopefully this should settle her down and put the eggs back under her.

xx
I probably know the answer, but ...

Started by Pertelotte on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2011, 07:48
by joyfull
sad
I know the answer to this but......

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 17, 2013, 22:31
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Please does anyone have an answer?

Started by general greivous on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post March 03, 2008, 13:46
by Tina&Tony
xx
Is prison the answer?

Started by Kathie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 10, 2010, 12:22
by Kathie

Page created in 0.223 seconds with 34 queries.