unusual chckens for sale ?

• 4 Replies

eggs on legs

« on: April 18, 2007, 16:04 »
I am still trying to buy some unusual chickens i.e. not brown. :shock:

Does anyone know of any in the Cardiff, South Wales area ?
Cherie always says:
"A boiled egg in the morning is hard to beat, but then what does she know about anything".

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 18:52 »
Can't find any on google  :(

SOURIS

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 21:40 »
The Wernlas Collection in south Shropshire deliver chickens all over Europe so South Wales is definitely fine and in fact you may even be able to save the flat £40 delivery fee by spending an hour or so driving there yourself.  They sell rare breeds and rare breeds come in all sorts of fancy and interesting looks!

Although our 2 current chickens are cheap but cute modern hybrids, as a child our chickens always originated from the Wernlas Collection so I can vouch for them. It is run by a married couple Sue and Shaun Hammond, and they are also more than happy to provide information and advice over the phone. Their chickens are about £35 each but you are supporting rare breeds!! They don't have photos on their web site but they will give you a list of which breeds they stock and what they have available now (and you may well have to wait for new hatchings later in the year!) and then of course you can check them up on the web as to what they look like. If you are looking for a really exotic looking bird I recommend the appenzeller spitzhauben - they come in several types, my favourite is the silver spangled - a beautiful striking black and white bird with a fantastic feathery headdress and blueish face. If you want a bog standard hen that is not brown then I believe you can not do better than the Speckled Sussex - basically as fat and tame and friendly (and good all purpose bird) as the Light Sussex but being brown, black and white with a lovely sheen as well. Marans are stripy and grey and lay deep chocolate eggs.Buff Orpingtons are huge, docile and amber coloured. Frizzles are interesting - their feathers seem to grow backwards - and silkies have feathers so fine they look like fur and have metallic coloured faces. You know this list is going to get ridiculous if I don't shut up and I recall you never asked about breeds - you probably have a good overview of them anyway - I just got carried away!

Good luck with your quest.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 06:57 »
Great information SOURIS.  I enjoyed reading your 'enthusiastic' post  :D

I'd forgotten about The Wernlas Collection. They have some pictures HERE  :D

eggs on legs

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:31 »
Thank you Souris - I think I will be spoiled for choice ! ...and also to sally for the photos.
:shock:

xx
Is this unusual?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

22 Replies
Last post October 28, 2010, 20:55
by bantam novice
xx
Is this unusual?

Started by LivvyW on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 20:07
by NormandyMary
xx
Unusual egg please help!

Started by Bonniebean on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2010, 20:26
by Bonniebean
xx
Unusual Egg

Started by farmerGiles on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 20, 2011, 10:43
by Bev

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 34 queries.