Sudden deaths

• 10 Replies

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
Sudden deaths
« on: July 03, 2009, 13:42 »
My flock are droppiong like flies!

We lost a hen on Monday, a further two on Weednesday and another two yesterday.

The hens loose all colour out of their combs and become very lathargic. They go off their food and water and then die.

I initially thought it was the heat, but on the second death had a hen dropped into the local vets for checking out.  We are awaiting the results, but the thought is that it is a virus.

Is anyone else experiencing issues at present?

A very worried - Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

Foxy

Re: Sudden deaths
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 13:50 »
My first thought is red mite, they can kill a hen very easily, and present like the symptoms you have described,particulary the pale comb and lethargy
Secondly, are they suffering from heat stress? This could excerbate any underlying health problems.
Thirdly, as you have lost more than one, there is a commonal link, any evidence of respiratory infection? Or some digestive bacteria?
So what are their living conditons like, on bark, grass etc. How long have you had them and how old are they?
Sorry for all the questions!

vicster

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 08:48 »
Hi, sorry I can't help with your query but I am going to add to it!

We have 4 ex-bats which we got in September. All 4 were doing really well, laying everyday, until about 4 weeks ago. Since then, they have stopped, with just the odd soft-shelled egg or 2. I put it down to age, thought they were possibly having a break, but I have found one of them (Brae) dead this morning and the other 3 seem to have very loose droppings.

They are still keen to eat, eyes seem bright, their combs are bright red and are quite vocal but I am worried they have something. It seemed like Brae may have passed a soft-shelled egg before she died as there was a lot of yolk under her body. I clean the coop every week and dust with mite powder. Any ideas? Is it just old age or does the fact that the others have watery droppings mean trouble?

Foxy

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 11:25 »
Hi, sorry I can't help with your query but I am going to add to it!

We have 4 ex-bats which we got in September. All 4 were doing really well, laying everyday, until about 4 weeks ago. Since then, they have stopped, with just the odd soft-shelled egg or 2. I put it down to age, thought they were possibly having a break, but I have found one of them (Brae) dead this morning and the other 3 seem to have very loose droppings.

They are still keen to eat, eyes seem bright, their combs are bright red and are quite vocal but I am worried they have something. It seemed like Brae may have passed a soft-shelled egg before she died as there was a lot of yolk under her body. I clean the coop every week and dust with mite powder. Any ideas? Is it just old age or does the fact that the others have watery droppings mean trouble?

It sounds like poor Brae died of an egg-laying problem, she possibly had an egg break inside, or laid internally, there are a couple of reasons for that, one is tumours nothing you can do, the other is a lack of calcium, a sort of "egg laying fatigue" it is very important than you cut out treats,( mixed corn,bread etc) and that they have access to just layers pellets. Make sure they have oyster shell ad lib or add some limestone powder (from a feed store) to their feed. A teaspoon of cod liver oil twice a week in their pellets plus apple cider vinegar 25ml per litre in their drinking water. :) You can crush a calcuim tablet and add for a few days to drinking water as an emergency boost.
Saying that, it could be just old age combined with heat stress, it has been exceptionally warm!

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 13:42 »
I agree with Foxy coudl be red mite, see a lot of folk think they are protected by using mite powders etc but the truth is they are pretty much innefectual.
Unlike fleas etc mites can kill very quickly if they are left unchecked and as they feed at night it's easy to miss them.

vicster

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 13:49 »

It sounds like poor Brae died of an egg-laying problem, she possibly had an egg break inside, or laid internally, there are a couple of reasons for that, one is tumours nothing you can do, the other is a lack of calcium, a sort of "egg laying fatigue" it is very important than you cut out treats,( mixed corn,bread etc) and that they have access to just layers pellets. Make sure they have oyster shell ad lib or add some limestone powder (from a feed store) to their feed. A teaspoon of cod liver oil twice a week in their pellets plus apple cider vinegar 25ml per litre in their drinking water. :) You can crush a calcuim tablet and add for a few days to drinking water as an emergency boost.
Saying that, it could be just old age combined with heat stress, it has been exceptionally warm!

Hi Foxy

Thanks for that. They do eat pellets and I supplement with oyster shell and apple cider vinegar but I will cut out the treats and see if the others get back into some kind of egg laying routine. Mind you, I am not that worried about having no eggs, just want to make sure they are OK - I aalways assumed egg production would wane after a few months, as they were 18 months old when we got them from BHWT.....I have just cleaned the coop out and the 3 remaining hens seem quite happy, pretty noisy and responsive (flapping onto tree branches and running over to me)

BTW, what do I do with Brae? Never had to dispose of a chook corpse before!

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 15:55 »
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the suggestions and I have now purchased a treatment recommended by the local poultry supplier.  He added to the story that with the recent hot weather a large number of people in the area are suffering similar problems with their hens.  Quite a few had lost birds, so I hope that we have found the solution.

The hens that are left have been outside all day today - free ranging the garden and appear to have pirked up a little.  O/H is doing a grand job on cleaning out the night quarters and I have resurfaced the run area.

It is over to mother nature now - heres hoping she favours us.

Regards

Rugbymad40

P.S. I didn't realise that Red Spider Mites could kill birds.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 22:19 »
It's not Red Spider Mite. Totally different creature.
The poultry pest is Red Mite, the greenhouse pest is red spider mite.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:07 »
Having Read the instructions on the bottle I realised it was Red Mite (and not Red Spider Mite) as previously reported.

The night quarters were lined with lino to make it easier to clean each week.  The lino was disinfected once a week, but not taken out.  This is where our problem lay as the infestation was under the lino.   Lesson to learn here for everyone I think.

The birds have pirked up a lot this morning and a little of the colour has come back to their combs.  I hope (with your assistance) we have nipped it in the bud.

Thanks Guys.

Rugbymad40

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:14 »
Horrible things aren't they? :mad:
Give your chooks a little kitten food, and poultry spice to boost them a little, you could treat them with a little yogurt too! :)

Chookster

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 18:47 »
It's not Red Spider Mite. Totally different creature.
The poultry pest is Red Mite, the greenhouse pest is red spider mite.

Oh! thanks for that, I didn't realise. Do they look similar at all? I have to say that i'm kind of relieved as the museum garden where my birds live is absolutely full of red spider mite - call it pandemic if you like! That's good news as i haven't found any signs in their house. I have however had the lice problem the last few weeks.

xx
sudden deaths

Started by Peverill4 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 18, 2007, 10:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
Sudden Deaths

Started by Prod on The Hen House

44 Replies
Last post January 17, 2014, 20:07
by barley
xx
Chicken deaths

Started by Fluff on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 05, 2007, 16:55
by chickychick
xx
Sudden death

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 19, 2013, 18:41
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 35 queries.