Is it cruel to keep chickens in a pen for most of the time

• 66 Replies

darcyhen

Re: Is it cruel to keep chickens in a pen for most of the time
« Reply #60 on: July 03, 2009, 09:02 »
Hello,

I think you should rename this thread somthing like "lots of coop and run options and ideas". I thought it was going to be some debate about size of runs and hadn't really looked because i was looking fo more practical advice.
It's amazing just how much everyone is in agreement about things. Do you think owning chickens makes you less argumentative???
Thanks for posting all your pictures. They are really interesting and give lots of food for thought.
michelle

Foxy

« Reply #61 on: July 03, 2009, 13:43 »
Hello,

It's amazing just how much everyone is in agreement about things. Do you think owning chickens makes you less argumentative???

michelle

well until you ask whats the best breed of chicken to keep!!! :D :D

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #62 on: July 03, 2009, 16:24 »
If you don't feel up to building yourself try finding a local handy man/carpenter/old chap who's good at wood work. You can get much bigger for the same amount of cash than buying an off the rack one and you can tailor it to what you want and the size/shape of ground area you have available.

pigsypete

« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 13:43 »
I am absolutley gutted now after reading this thread.

I visited what i thought was a reputble chicken dealer who sold me everything to start chciken keeping sold me the house shown at the start and said it would be fine for 2-3 chickens.

So now I will be building a big a run as I can get away with and leaving thier door open, as I have a smallish garden I have had to put it on a concrete base should I put some sort of chipping down on top of it ? I would love to let them out completely but I am not sure the good lady will let me as she loves her flowers.

mad mark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 13:54 »
I am absolutley gutted now after reading this thread.

I visited what i thought was a reputble chicken dealer who sold me everything to start chciken keeping sold me the house shown at the start and said it would be fine for 2-3 chickens.

So now I will be building a big a run as I can get away with and leaving thier door open, as I have a smallish garden I have had to put it on a concrete base should I put some sort of chipping down on top of it ? I would love to let them out completely but I am not sure the good lady will let me as she loves her flowers.

Go with a decent sized run. I have as my OH loves her flowers and there are dogs and cats in the vicinity. As much space as you can give you will mean the chickens are happy and healthier. I have bark chippings down with a flag or two near the feeder and the water bottle so that there is abit of dry land where they stand to get at the food, though they tend to scratch up the wood chippings into the feeder and water bottle even though they are off the ground. Enjoy....... 8)
Mad Mark

animal mad

• Experienced Member
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 16:22 »
hi,
after reading these pages i am worried i dont have enough run space. i have 5 hybrid chicks they are 2 weeks old at the moment, when they are bigger we have converted part of a shed so they will have 6 foot x 3 foot internal space, and about 9ft by 6ft run, will this be enough. the breeder said it would be plenty but now i am not too sure.

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 16:49 »
That would give you 54 square foot or 5.01 square metres.  If you can I would make your run bigger.
I would also suggest that if it is a grass run it will not be for very much longer and you may want to put a roof on it and some bark down. 

1 square metre is the absolute minimum and bigger would be better, I would suggest 2 square metres if you can.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

xx
best time to put chickens together??

Started by avilla on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 11:10
by avilla
xx
best time to get chickens

Started by sammie1207 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 09:03
by Sassy
xx
An update and what time do your chickens go to bed?

Started by Nicki85 on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 04, 2011, 11:34
by bramford
xx
How much time do you spend on your chickens?

Started by SarahC375 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 12:57
by grinling

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 35 queries.