Is it cruel to keep chickens in a pen for most of the time

• 66 Replies

jjmack

Hi,
I am almost there re getting chickens. Have wanted to for a number of years and finally husband has said yes but he won't have anything to do with them! My friends think I am mad. I have chosen my coop and run http://www.elbec4gardenbuildings.co.uk/index.aspx?section=product&deptid=355&productid=1788 and am wanting 3 hens / bantams. I was all set to get and my friend said isn't it cruel to keep them in a run. I am planning on fencing off bits of the garden and letting them roam while i am there but that is likely to be only an hour or so a day and not every day and the rest of the time they will be in their pen. What are your thoughts. I don't want to be cruel just to satisfy my wants!
Thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Is it cruel to keep chickens in a pen for most of the time
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 19:26 »
Hi, I just looked at the coop in question and the description says it all I'm afraid - small!!. Chickens need a minimum of 1 sq mtr per bird in their run and ideally 2 square mtrs per bird. If you was to get this (would sleep 3 ok, although the perch leaves a bit to be desired) I would suggest you remove the end panel and build an extension onto it - enough to give them the required space.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2009, 19:34 »
External Sizes
Length x Depth x Height:
House:            1988mm x 750mm x 1030mm,
Nesting Box:   353mm x 700mm x 390mm,
Door:               270mm x 511mm

The run size is big enough (at a tight pinch) for 1 1/2 medium sized hens or 3 bantams but only if they are allowed to free range around the garden for most of the time.  In my opinion they need at least 2 or 3 times that space if they are to stay in there most of the time.  You may find you get behavioural problems if they are cramped   :(

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2009, 19:52 »
Why dont you see about building something yourself and then you can get the correct size pen to keep your birds happy without worrying that they are cramped up, there are loads of different thing you could convert to house your chucks doesnt have to be a fancy coop.    I have two chooks and i use an old plastic wendy house that used to be for the kids, i popped in a perch and they have their nest box in there, i fixed a door on the front, and at nite i pop tarpolin over just to keep them dry, it works a treat, the breeder who i got my chooks from was well impressed, try and get hubby invovled aswell and then maybe he might come round if you ask him to come up with something for you.    nickyx

jjmack

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2009, 19:55 »
Hmmm I need to get out in the garden and get measuring again to try to decide on something else. The idea about getting hubbie involved might cause a divorce, hubbie and DIY don't mix!

Thanks for the ideas and comments ... any more gratefully received. How do sites get away with saying that they can stay in the runs and the space is ok? I have looked on the RSPCA website and there is no recommendation so I suppose as there is nothing written in stone they can get a way with anything.

Hensington

• Experienced Member
    • Blue laced
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2009, 20:02 »
Don't buy flat pack chinese coops.

THEY ARE NOT suitable for outdoor use.

£200 would buy you a nice hand made coop. What area are you in? ( I make my own and can show you how to make one for yourself)

jjmack

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2009, 20:35 »
Thanks Hensington. I am in the midlands.

BrianK

• Experienced Member
    • melton constable village
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2009, 20:47 »
Don't forget there isn't much of a law for chickens. Hence battery hens are still allowed  :mad:

The size of the henhouse itself is not as important as the space they have to run in. Inside the henhouse they will huddle together and perch (apparently, mine cram into a nesting box bit) so apart from sleeping and laying eggs in the nesting area they won't be in the house for much.

My run is tiny. But its only for keeping them in until they get out to stampede around the garden.

My Blog (updated 18/7/09)

wildwitchy

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2009, 21:03 »
Where abouts in the midlands? I'm in Birmingham & I've made all my own pens & coops (for hardly anything aswell). Mind the garden does belong to the poultry & hubby knows that..

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2009, 21:14 »
I bought one of these for my 3 bantams. It's def too small to keep them in all the time, at the minute they are let out to roam the garden several times during the day, (I have to alternate between chickens and dogs), and I will be making them a bigger run. I bought mine off ebay and even with delivery costs saved quite a bit. With hindsight I wish I'd just bought an ordinary little shed and converted it.

jjmack

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2009, 21:16 »
I am now thinking small house in free standing pen. I had a surge of inspiration .... the retailers are jumping on bandwagon and charing extra for hen stuff so what is I bought a small dog kennel and adapted it to have a pop hole and put in a roost etc. Is that feasible or am I just making work for my self?

wildwitchy

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2009, 21:20 »
I'll post you a pick of mine when I can find it. I bought a wooden wendy house, like nzdunn. Converted with odds & wotsits, then built a 8 x 10 weld mesh pen around it. They also roam in the garden too. They very rarely are confined but if they are, its plenty.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2009, 21:23 »
I think so many of us have made the same mistake, my first coop was the same, the advert said suitable for 3 large fowl  :blink:. It's now being used as a first coop for my blackrock and her babies and then after that will be my hospital. If you can get a shed that is the best way to go, put in a perch and some nest boxes (they don't have to be external ones and a pop hole and you have more than enough room for more hens should you wish to expand. Best to have it raised off the ground and I know some people on here put mesh underneath it to stop rats from chewing into the wood but mine stands on breeze blocks (2 high) and then ontop of that I have metal sheeting to stop rats. I have got a ladder for them to get up and down into/out of the shed and I remove this in the evening to stop rats using it. My hens free range all the time but if you cant do this then add a run on the pop hole side.

jjmack

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2009, 21:24 »
Fantastic, thanks wildwitchy looking forward to seeing the pic. Unfortunately a shed is not a possibility due to garden size, children, climbing frames etc!

themagicaltoad1

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2009, 21:34 »
just another thought........ have you sorted out who will look after them if you decide to go away for a few days?

xx
best time to put chickens together??

Started by avilla on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 11:10
by avilla
xx
best time to get chickens

Started by sammie1207 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 04, 2014, 09:03
by Sassy
xx
How much time do you spend on your chickens?

Started by SarahC375 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 12:57
by grinling
xx
Getting chickens for the first time - questions !!

Started by Under The Hill on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2014, 14:50
by grinling

Page created in 0.248 seconds with 37 queries.