Possible duckling

• 1 Replies

dkelly

Possible duckling
« on: April 12, 2007, 12:30 »
:?

Hello please can someone help me, my husband and I have had three beautiful Muscovy ducks for almost a year we have the mum and two of her babies (so altogether 2 girls one boy).  The younger girl duck started laying a few weeks ago and as recommended we took most of the eggs away but have left her with one which she has now been sitting on for about 4 weeks.  The thing is this is all new to us and we don’t know what to do if it does hatch (I don’t think they always do?!) although he drake has been 'with' her often.  If it does hatch do I just leave the duckling with its mum or take it into the house to be warmer? Also what will it eat? The ducks are free to roam our garden all day but at night we lock them in a little shed to keep them safe from foxes.  They have a pond to swim in.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

thanks
DEANA

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
ducks
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2007, 13:11 »
I just got some ducklings and they are from an incubator hatching but I would have thought to leave it with mum to look after she will know what to do. I am sure more experienced owners will give the correct advice if thats not right.

You feed them chick crumbs but avoid the ones for Hen chicks unless they're organic as ordinary ones have a medicine in which can kill ducklings, I got mine online from the Organic Food company but most good animal feed stockists should have them.  I did intensive research into getting hold of this after reading about the dangers on another Duck Site.

They must not have coccidistats in so check the label and if in doubt call them to ask

xx
re duckling

Started by phil2005 on The Hen House

28 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 22:52
by too many girls
xx
DUCKLING

Started by WR1 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 20:47
by WR1
xx
Odd duckling behaviour

Started by superpete on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2013, 21:26
by Springlands
xx
Introducing a new duckling

Started by dkelly on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post June 25, 2007, 21:04
by dkelly

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 34 queries.