purring/growling

• 7 Replies

Sue33

purring/growling
« on: April 23, 2009, 09:54 »

morning all, another question  :) one of my RIR (23 wks old) seemed to purring yesterday, or it could have been growling?  Is this right?   We have just introduced two littl'uns and she is a bit nasty to them, nothing too bad just a bit of bullying, no pecking.  At the time tho she was eating not paying any attention to the babies.......... just wondering!

Vember

Re: purring/growling
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2009, 10:03 »
Sounds like she was trying to stop them going near her food Sue :)

The only other time I've had growling/purring is with broody hens or mummies with their babies :)

Sarah :D

Sue33

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2009, 10:21 »

oh dear, she did it to me the other day when I picked her up, she's not the most friendliest one of the bunch so I guess that's her way of telling me to back off  :(  she didn't flap around or peck or anything tho.............. one of our other ones is so friendly, follows me all round the garden and loves to sit on your lap!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2009, 11:20 »
They purr when they are happy. particularly while they have a dust bath.  Growing is just waht Vember said.  It's a warning,  broodies do it if you try to move them.

Sue33

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2009, 11:25 »

can a chook be broody if she hasn't laid any eggs yet, the other one is laying every day pretty much but this one hasn't laid an egg yet, I did find her in the nesting box a couple of times yesterday, (and she made the noise!) left her to it thinking I might get an egg but nothing, maybe she's having trouble with it, being the first  ???  I can't wait till all four of them are laying, I know the two littl'uns will be a while yet tho.

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2009, 12:52 »
I'm so glad you asked this question, as my hens "churl" to each other all the time.  In fact, they are so loud just churling, that I can hear them up in my bedroom first thing in the morning.  No loud rosey, just that gentle churling.  They churl to my husband and I too.  I think they are asking if there's any treats for them. :D
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 13:04 »
It's amazing how many different noises chickens make isn't it  :)

I think a broody growl is probably pretty much like any other 'be off with you' growl.  ::)

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 09:08 »
I put a post on about this and then remembered I'd seen something on here my girl was doing when I was giving them treats at tea time so perhaps thats what it was a warning we  can't catch her to see if she's ok will try again tonight  >:(

xx
rattling or purring

Started by wadz81 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 30, 2009, 19:55
by wadz81
xx
chickens purring

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 03, 2013, 21:39
by andy46
xx
growling chook

Started by peggygate on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post November 07, 2010, 19:45
by R_A_W

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 31 queries.