Territorial chickens and wild birds

• 3 Replies

janeheritage

• Experienced Member
Territorial chickens and wild birds
« on: April 14, 2009, 07:50 »
Morning all. I've been watching my girls this morning and I notice that one of them in particular, our tall, skittish Skyline hybrid, can't seem to bear the thought of sharing her lawn with wild birds. If so much as a chaffinch lands to pick up a bit of leftover she's after it, neck down, legs pumping, wings flapping, and she's taken on a jackdaw, too.

I know that for biosecurity reasons they're not supposed to interact with wild birds. She never touches the birds she chases (they fly better than her) - but is there anything to worry about in this behaviour?

Look forward to hearing your views!
No one can understand the truth until he drinks of coffee's frothy goodness

smiler43

• Experienced Member
Re: Territorial chickens and wild birds
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 08:32 »
Funny isn't it, when I first got mine they were all the same, chasing everything that landed in the garden.  They share now. 

Got a a new girl 3 weeks ago though and she's the same, as soon as a bird lands she's off, she looks so funny too. 

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49 »
Mine seem to have grown out  of the habit and were happily sharing a dustbath with the sparrows the other day.
When they do go after them it always reminds me of the T Rex chase in Jurrasic (spelling?) Park.

linzechris

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 10:20 »
My girls are ex batts and very territorial. They are kept in a very large pen (almost free range) with a run inside which is attatched to their coop.
One day recently I could hear them squawking and when I went outside to investigate I noticed a wood pigeon cowering in the corner of the run. As I went inside the pen the wood Pigeon fluttered about and made a dash to the exit of the run and the girls ran up to the pigeon and crowded round it with their wings open and pecking at it. The poor thing was bleeding and had already lost lots of feathers. In fact the run was covered in them. I managed to get hold of the pigeon and lifted it over the fence so the girls couldn't get it to let it get over the shock. It sat for a brief moment then flew off a bit sharpish!Luckily it still had enough feathers to fly!
I had to clear the run of all the feathers just to stop the girls squawking. What a racket! They have been with me since August so I don't know if they will always be that vicious to other birds.
Usually they just chase them off.
Christine J Jeavons

xx
Wild Birds & Chickens

Started by rufty on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 30, 2013, 17:11
by Geo
xx
Feeding the birds (wild birds)

Started by ManicMum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 13, 2011, 16:41
by mjd
xx
Keeping wild birds out

Started by CWatters on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 21:05
by hennyandpenny
xx
Can Wild birds spread diseases?

Started by jinty1911 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2010, 08:11
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.208 seconds with 31 queries.