One Barnevelder feather plucking another one ! Help

• 2 Replies

anitaws

One Barnevelder feather plucking another one ! Help
« on: April 11, 2009, 19:15 »
Well I had done really well today, 17 eggs this week and decided to put the girls on compost in the run as I'd had problems getting the wood shavings.

This started the biggest dust bath session ever, probably about an hours, they all looked like they where in heaven.

Rosie, the trouble causer, pecked the odd feather off of the other three but then she has really started to strip Iris.  She has a patch of feathers missing from her back about 2inch round and there is the smallest trace of blood showing where one has been pulled out.  Iris and Rosie are normally best of buddies.  As no one else is picking on Iris I have put Rosie to bed early.  There was a spattering of freathers all around poor Iris.  She is now standing with her tail bent down, Very unusual stance for these birds and definately not seen them do unless sat relaxed on the perch.

I have a large cat box that I can put Iris in tonight.  Should I split her up like this but put it into the hen house with the others.  As its only Rosie who's causing the trouble should it be her.

I don't have any purple spray but not large area of red to be seen.

I think I must keep them seperate tomorrow but who should I take out, the picked on one or the trouble causer.

Please help, I'm unsure what to do about this.

Anita
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 19:28 by anitaws »

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: One Barnevelder feather plucking another one ! Help
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 21:10 »
Take out the trouble maker for a few days and she should slip down the pecking order.

anitaws

Re: One Barnevelder feather plucking another one ! Help
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 21:44 »
Thanks Aunt Sally

Tonight I've split her, Rosie,  up in a large cat box in the hen house and for tomorrow Bob has built a partitian in the run so that I can keep her seperate.

Poor Iris looked so dejected when she went to bed I hope she picks up ok.

I have noticed Rosie peck at the odd loose feather of the other birds occasionally so perhaps I'm going to have to keep an eye on her for that.

I've looked at the link for feather pecking, after splitting them up and calming down, it was very informative.

Thank you
Anita

question
Feather Plucking

Started by Prod on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2012, 21:38
by joyfull
xx
feather plucking

Started by moomoos42 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 29, 2011, 23:28
by ANHBUC
xx
Feather plucking?

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 07, 2010, 18:49
by Topscaff
question
Feather plucking

Started by Hunter on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post February 01, 2011, 15:52
by sneezer

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 28 queries.