Keeping ducks

• 2 Replies

Debz

Keeping ducks
« on: April 06, 2009, 16:34 »
Apart from water for a swim, what do you need to look after ducks that differs from hens.  I am looking at Aylesburys.

colliebird

• Experienced Member
Re: Keeping ducks
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 16:40 »
Apart from water for a swim, what do you need to look after ducks that differs from hens.  I am looking at Aylesburys.

A duck house where they can shelter and eventually lay eggs, though I found mine preferred to lay them under the duck house where I had put old tyres with straw in them.
Be careful not to give deep drinking bowls or buckets of water for ducks or geese.  When they have ducklings/goslings, I've known the youngsters to jump in from mums back, into the bucket/bowl, not been able to get out and have drowned.  It only happened to me once and I learned a hard, sad lesson.

Valerie
Valerie

"The moral progress of a nation can be judged by the way it treats its animals" - Gandhi

Vember

Re: Keeping ducks
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 17:02 »
If your not getting ducklings then buckets are good for water. Helps keeps their eye's clean :)
Their housing is more basic than chickens, nest boxes at ground level and no perches :)

I have a couple of plastic sand pit type paddling pools from argos which my birds love but I have also dug out 2 ponds and they have a bath sunk in the ground :)

Ducks have a 24 hour laying cycle against 25 hours of a hen, so "normally" they lay at the same time everyday and again normally this is before 10 am. Having found the odd egg gone to waste in the bottom of the pond I now keep mine in till 9:30 so that eggs are laid where they should be :D

Mine eat the same as the hen's although if you do want to breed from them a good breeder ration may help things along in spring :) Ducklings require a different type of starter crumbs to chicks as the chick crumbs contain medication for coccidiosis which isn't good for ducklings :)

Kate did this article last year which is a good read :D

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=20427.0

Sarah :D

xx
New to keeping ducks

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 04, 2007, 16:20
by slowef
xx
Keeping ducks - How do you keep yours

Started by Debz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 19:16
by Foxy
xx
Ducks - Keeping Them Warm!!!!!!!

Started by darrena on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 03, 2009, 07:55
by Kate and her Ducks
xx
keeping mandarin ducks

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 17:13
by Bodger

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 36 queries.