Bald Breast - really quite worried now!

• 5 Replies

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
Bald Breast - really quite worried now!
« on: March 10, 2009, 22:06 »
Hi all, i posted a message yesterday about my three girls moulting, this is what i thought was happening. This process has gone on now for the last 4/5 months, and there is absolutley no sign of any feathers reappearing. I have just visited Richrichy7's post with regards to moults. I saw that it is normally a quick turn around and that the hens skin would normally go a red colour and then new feathers appear like a needle tip. Our girls have all got bear pale pink breast's with no sign of new feathers at all.
There combs are really red and healthy, they are eating and drinking normally. They are also laying 5 times aweek, they seem very alert,  and happy. They do however sleep in there nest box.

HENrietta  :)
Live, Love and Laugh!

Foxy

Re: Bald Breast - really quite worried now!
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 22:46 »
Hello Henrietta, what might have happened is a sort of "arrested moult" they start the moult and are still laying -so dont quite get through the moulting process properly. What may happen is they stay like this now until the next moult when they will moult fully probably the end of summer.
If they are well, eating and laying  without any evidence of lice, then dont worry. I have had this happen with a hen, she had her scruffy old feathers with a tatty pair of bloomers all summer  :unsure:-then moulted and now has a  lovely fresh set of feathers! :blink: :D

HENrietta

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 07:12 »
Thanks foxy, would this happen on all 3 girls then? They are definitly really well, so i am not overly concerned. :) I gave them some fish flavoured tinned cat food for their supper yesterday may that help them?

D.Bates

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:11 »
Hi

Glad I have seen this. I too have exactly the same problem although I can see the beginnings of what I think is feather growth on all five of my chickens. All birds are healthy and laying well as always other than the 2 very broody hens that I currently have. They are proving to be very stubborn at the moment when it comes to me keeping them off the nest. They have been at this for a while now so hoping it will be over soon. I have tried all sorts and I reckon now that its just a waiting game and they are going to have things their way.

DBates

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:20 »
Broody hens have bare breasts so they can cook the eggs properly . If they look fully feathered till you turn them upside down it is normal for a hen in breeding condition. :)

Debz

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2009, 13:28 »
I also have one girl who is bald from her vent to her chest.  She lays an egg every day and could eat for Scotland.  Of my other two girls one had a bald bottom and now has fluffy bloomers where her feathers are all back in and the other on is just starting to feather up now.  This started in February but as they are all bright, active, laying every day and always wanting fed then I have to assume they are ok.

xx
bald breast

Started by loretta cluck on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 16, 2012, 13:35
by ANHBUC
xx
Abnormal breast

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 17:26
by GrannieAnnie
question
Breast Blisters ??

Started by AL Hathaway on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 31, 2011, 14:01
by AL Hathaway
xx
Breast bone

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 04, 2008, 22:59
by SnooziSuzi

Page created in 0.261 seconds with 35 queries.