chicken housing

• 55 Replies

andreadon

• My Diary
Re: chicken housing
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2009, 11:02 »
heehee!

you run shouldn't be a problem to keep clean if it's on slabs, anyway - put woodchips or whatever down then when it gets smelly, you can throw it all out into the borders (good mulch) and hose down the slabs and start again.
(don't do it too often, though, it'd cost a fortune! - you can usually get away with turning the chips over)

daffodildaphne

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2009, 13:09 »
Have you considered slanting it slightly?

anitaws

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2009, 20:55 »
Slanting may not be necessary, you cant really see in this picture but when I look up the garden from the house I've noticed that its more dome shaped in the middle, sort of slanted all the way round on every edge ???

Darn't point it out to Bob, it took us all day last Satruday to put it down, I really don't think he'd want to take it up and start again.  Good thought though.

Anita

anitaws

« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2009, 12:03 »
The house is up, finished off in the rain yesterday.  Only the final fittings to do, woodshavings etc and were off to collect the hens later today.  Just thought you might like one final picture of the finished result.  Oh, and I'm so excited  :nowink:

Foxy

« Reply #49 on: March 29, 2009, 12:30 »
Thats a lovely house! Good luck with buying your hens, dont forget piccies are the LAW!! :D :D

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2009, 18:25 »
it's beautiful!
you've done a great job there (or OH did...)

I'm just about to read your other post with the new chickens in it!
 :D

anitaws

« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2009, 18:30 »
Thank you, mostly I resigned myself to propper upper and fetcher, it was definately OH work.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2009, 18:38 »
it's safer that way.
 ::)

Foxy

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2009, 20:15 »
it's safer that way.
 ::)

you're not wrong! Hubby builds most of our houses or adapts sheds, his favourite mantra is "please dont help!" :lol: :lol:

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2009, 21:50 »

My next dilema is the floor.  The run is roofed its entire length and sheltered on three sides.  As were coming up to the better weather should I start off with a soil floor and see how its goes.  Use a membrain or matting and top with wood shavings, gravel or rubber chips.  Do I slab the area and use a topping. ???

Slabs are a good idea, because it provides an extra protection from foxes digging under.
and! it means that when you want to replace the floor materials, it's just a case of scrape and hose!
A lot of members use wood/bark chips - make sure you get animal friendly ones, because some of the un-washed ones have mould spores (which can give them respiratory problems).
You can use anything really, on top of your slabs.  They like to dig around, so get it as deep as you can, and give them a bowl of soil for dustbathing: you say you've got a roof, so you shouldn't have much problem with the flooring getting wet and soggy and dirty.

Sounds like you've got most of it covered!

There's always pros and cons with everything. The problem with slabs is they provide an excellent opportunity for rats to dig under and nest.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

anitaws

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2009, 20:14 »
Allan thanks, but if you saw the size of the log store nearby I don't think they'd go to all the trouble of burying under the slabs for nesting.

We get throught each log store yearly but they do stand for seasoning.

We're being very careful not to unnecessarily attract any vermin and are removing the food and water feeders every night, sweeping daily and keeping it all tidy.

Sidney, our deceased cat, definately showed us that we have a healthy population of mice but I suppose that rats woun't be far away either.  I will bait when I have to.

Anita

xx
Ducks & chicken housing together

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 08, 2015, 16:08
by Sassy
xx
Chicken Housing in Durham/Darlington

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:49
by SnooziSuzi
xx
chicken breed temperament advice & housing (orpingtons?)

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:21
by jo40
xx
hen housing

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post March 10, 2009, 21:20
by raeburg

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 39 queries.