chicken housing

• 55 Replies

drumcrow

• ALAN
    • doyle jewellery design
Re: chicken housing
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2009, 21:23 »
i have 3 hens at the mow in a chicken house that could easly house 10 or more and they seem fine they just cuddle together as they go to sleep. its lovely to watch them. :blush: :blush:
if you have chickens you have rats

anitaws

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2009, 09:33 »
Its really nice to find such a friendly helpful site.

The hen house is ordered and the floor space is 8 foot by 5 foot 3 inches.  42 square foot to go around should give 3 large orpingtons 14 square foot each.    The foot height is also 5 foot and i love the idea of a table with a ramp up for extra room.  Thank you all its going to be 3 large Orpingtons.  I really hope i can find some gold laced/buff laced black hens.

I was thinking of the winter with only a possbility of 1 hours free range a day.  I know during the other nine months or so they'll get out of the run much more than that. 

My next dilema is the floor.  The run is roofed its entire length and sheltered on three sides.  As were coming up to the better weather should I start off with a soil floor and see how its goes.  Use a membrain or matting and top with wood shavings, gravel or rubber chips.  Do I slab the area and use a topping. ???

Many thanks for the Orpington comparrison information but I just think my other half is expecting large eggs from large birds and I havn't broken it to him yet that there just medium so I don't think I'd be popular with even smaller ones.   :happy: 

Oh I'm also loosing some flower borders this year as Bob's starting vegitable growing for the first time and there talk of the lawn shrinking as well, potatoes I thought he said.  So its all change at our house this year. :)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2009, 11:34 »

My next dilema is the floor.  The run is roofed its entire length and sheltered on three sides.  As were coming up to the better weather should I start off with a soil floor and see how its goes.  Use a membrain or matting and top with wood shavings, gravel or rubber chips.  Do I slab the area and use a topping. ???

Slabs are a good idea, because it provides an extra protection from foxes digging under.
and! it means that when you want to replace the floor materials, it's just a case of scrape and hose!
A lot of members use wood/bark chips - make sure you get animal friendly ones, because some of the un-washed ones have mould spores (which can give them respiratory problems).
You can use anything really, on top of your slabs.  They like to dig around, so get it as deep as you can, and give them a bowl of soil for dustbathing: you say you've got a roof, so you shouldn't have much problem with the flooring getting wet and soggy and dirty.

Sounds like you've got most of it covered!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 11:55 by andreadon »

Hengist

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2009, 11:46 »
We're just about to start a walk-in run for our hens which we hope to collect in early April.  The idea of the table - or maybe we could call it a mezzanine floor? - is great.  It will not only make extra room but give them chance for more activity - sort of chicken gym?  :D

I did wonder about putting another nesting-type box up there - or am I mad?  I've heard of hens laying in buckets on their side, or lawn-mower grass-boxes etc.  Do you think there's any mileage in that?

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2009, 11:57 »
they're  a mystery unto themselves!
A lot do lay their eggs elsewhere, but it's mainly because they want to find somewhere private and dark - a nest box outside might not be cosy enough.

Ours do fine with their correct nestbox because it's dark and full to the brim of straw!
You might find you'll be making a rod for your own back if you encourage them to lay elsewhere.....
 :D

Hengist

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2009, 12:25 »
Ooooh good point!  Just play stuff up there then!

anitaws

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2009, 15:56 »
It seems good to put the slabs down before we errect the house and run.  :)

Should I put them say 6inches or so oversized all the way round?  If I do this does this mean that I don't need to bury and wire?  I live in quite a built up area and I don't think we have local foxes but I do realise that we probably do have but I just havn't seen them yet.

This weekends job is relocating the wild bird feeders out of the back garden where the chickens will live, were put them onto the side garden near Bobs veg area which will mostly be a no go to the chickens.

Next weekend we need to level the area where the house and run are going and lay the slabs. 

I have until the 27 of March after this to get together all the feeders, drinkers and bedding that I need.  I just have to look for the chickens after that. ???

Anita

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2009, 16:03 »
I'd probably attach the edge of the run to the slabs to stop it pulling it up - maybe if you attched the wire to some wood and drilled/screwed it into the slabs, that should do the trick.  and don't forget to put the wire on the outside of the frame (so the fox can't push against it and breach it that way..)

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2009, 16:05 »
oh, and don't forget to post pictures at every stage - this lot get very upset if they don't get piccies!!

anitaws

« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2009, 16:54 »

If I've done it right, this is the 10 foot wide gap that our 8 foot wide chicken run is going into.  Hopefully it will be quite an improvement to the neighbours fence panels!

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2009, 17:10 »
oooh! exciting!
I can picture it already!
 :D

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2009, 08:35 »
Firstly, Well done on the chucks!!  :D

The only problem I could possibly think of is the house. Sometimes they say it's for more chickens than you'd actually be happy with in there!! (I know mine is!) so I'd say, stick with the min numbers until they're all in there and then make the decision on if you want more.

I have a similar size area to the garden as you seem to have, this is what I have just done -

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=31219.0

I had a run attached to the house originally but allowed them to free range (They were wrecking everything in sight so we changed to this!).
I built a walk in run/fenced off area. Put the house on stilts (allowing the birds more room to wander in as they explore under the house). I put a branch up for them to walk up/dowm/roost on. They have a dust bath in the corner and I've gone with bark chippings on the floor (although reading the previous posts...not sure if they're animal friendly!?)

Your gonna Luuurve having chickens!!  :D :D :D

anitaws

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2009, 10:28 »
I love your chicken run and after years of wanting I can't wait to get mine. :nowink:

Because I want large hens I know that there no way I'll fit more than 3 in our run althougth I'm currently looking into a slightly smaller breed than Orpington. 

I guess I'm allowed to change my mind as many times as I want until I actually get the hens.  I'm currently looking at Barnevelder's as I like the lacing on Orpingtons so much and these ones seem much more common.

Hengist

« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2009, 10:44 »

I guess I'm allowed to change my mind as many times as I want until I actually get the hens.  I'm currently looking at Barnevelder's as I like the lacing on Orpingtons so much and these ones seem much more common.

I'm glad changing minds is allowed!  Hoping to get mine in early April - and I've already had 3 different types, 4 sets of names - heaven only knows how many run designs!

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2009, 10:46 »
We've gone for a mixed flock and seeing as there's only 2 of us in the house less than 6 eggs a week would suit us. So, we have a white silkie (not for the eggs!) Lavender Pekin, Buff Orpington (gorgeous bird!) and a Blue Cochin - none of which have laid yet (sore point with the missus!). We are considering swapping thwe cochin and the pekin for a  couple of hybrids but we've yet to decide (we've got attached to our chucks!)

Whatever you decide - GOOD LUCK!! and remember pictures are the law on this forum  ;)

xx
Ducks & chicken housing together

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 08, 2015, 16:08
by Sassy
xx
Chicken Housing in Durham/Darlington

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:49
by SnooziSuzi
xx
chicken breed temperament advice & housing (orpingtons?)

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:21
by jo40
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw

Page created in 0.228 seconds with 37 queries.