chicken housing

• 55 Replies

anitaws

Re: chicken housing
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2009, 11:52 »
So its not just me that's having trouble choosing one breed.  I think Bob would prefer one type so mix and match is out.  I'm hoping to get mine early April, so I'm going to have a phone round and see whats available.  Availability, I'm sure, will have a big effect on eventual choice.  I'll just be pleased to have hens at last after wanting them for so long.

Foxy

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2009, 12:08 »
You might like Wyandottes, lovely nature and beautiful colours, blue laced and buff laced are my favourites. Wyandottes lay very well too.

heres a link to some examples:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

anitaws

« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2009, 16:12 »
I never new that one type of hen came in so many different colours types.  Wyandottes sure have some pretty combinations that I like.

I just seem to have to many types of hen to choose from :blink:.  Only 5 weeks to hen accommodation arrival, still time to change/make my mind up.

melc1962

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2009, 17:07 »
My four sleep in the nesting box, lay in the main body of the hen house and form a disorderly queue accompanied by a lot of very loud rosey and pacing when they want to lay :). Still it's a free country!
melc

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2009, 13:48 »
My four sleep in the nesting box, lay in the main body of the hen house and form a disorderly queue accompanied by a lot of very loud rosey and pacing when they want to lay :). Still it's a free country!
melc

My god!
For a moment there, I thought I'd posted something in a different name!
Sleep-typing again....
My erschkins are exactly the same (that's not a fancy breed, it's the name adam gives to the chickens)!
 ::) ::)

anitaws

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2009, 19:17 »
Bob's been busy this weekend, progress so far on transforming the garden.

I'd like to say I helped but I think I only hampered.  Were both can't wait to get our own hens, Barnies x 3.  Well be looking for paving slabs this week as were moving the path and paving at the end of the garden for the run and a sitting area and mud free access to the wood shed.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2009, 21:57 »
looking good so far!
(i tend to find the best way to help is to keep bringing out cups of tea and offering to fetch things!  :tongue2: )

barnies are gorgeous! That was what i wanted (but the local farm didn't have those)

Rhode Runner

• The Poultry Garden
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2009, 19:33 »
You might like Wyandottes, lovely nature and beautiful colours, blue laced and buff laced are my favourites. Wyandottes lay very well too.

heres a link to some examples:

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Wyand/BRKWyand.html

All chickens are good for certain things. Wyandottes are champion broodies. Wyandotte bantams were the bird of choice for old time gamekeepers to hatch and brood pheasant chicks. If you want broodies get Wyandottes.

Allan
It's not growing old that stops you doing things
Its stopping doing things that makes you old.

anitaws

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2009, 20:10 »
Wyandottes are lovely looking birds but I don't have room to expand any beyond my initial 3, least ways until we move house sometime, and don't really want broody hens.  Would love them if I could hatch some eggs but really can't up numbers.

I've choosen Barnies on looks, but not firstly, large soft feathered, not good fliers, general character and calm placid temperaments and large birds.

Anita

anitaws

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2009, 14:31 »
The lastest on the garden transformation.

We do seem to be overrun with creeping periwinkle up both sides, I've pulled loads out but is this a problem to hens?

anitaws

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2009, 14:14 »
Latest picture, coming along nicely now, grass seed to do next weekend and then the house arrives.  Only have to find my Barnevelders then.  I said to Bob today make sure I don't buy any other type, I've waited so long it will be difficult to resist any hens once its all together.

andreadon

• My Diary
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2009, 13:05 »
looking good!
I'm very jealous of your nice neat path up to the run!

daffodildaphne

« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2009, 13:56 »
I'd like to attach wheels or castors to a chicken coop I assembled, if it's helpful to see it, here's a link http://www.thepetpads.co.uk/index.php?page=shop&action=viewproduct&pid=8201 -  I wouldn't recommend it, by the way.  Which wheels or castors would be good for this - they will need to roll over paving.  Thanks for any suggestions.

Foxy

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2009, 15:39 »
That might be a bit awkward to move. We use the  wheels (pneumatic) from the sack trucks you can can buy cheap at £19.99 from B&Q. We popped them on the end of a metal rod and stuck them under our sheds.

anitaws

« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2009, 20:55 »
Why thank you, a nice neat path between the clothes lines has always had great attraction to me.  I did get fed up of wading through mud just to hang the washing out.  What a lovely coincidence it is also going towards the run.

Unfortunately at this house we wount be able to move the run around.  Its going to be fixed onto the lovely new paving at the end, taking up most of the space.  When we move I'm longing for a larger garden.  I've got more than you can see here but somes to the front and a bit stuck on the side, it would be lovely to have it alltogether with enough grass in one place for a run to be moved round on.

I was sat on the chicken bench yesterday having a cup of tea and a bacon butty and from the corner of my eye I spotted a little mouse trying to cross along the bottom of the garden toward the garage.  Now sidney, my recently deceased cat was a great mouser so I am under no illusion that we've got them, but the cheak of it while I'm sat there, in broad day light.

Since I've been telling Bob the things people on here say that their hens eat Bob said he might not eat eggs again.  I had mentioned that mice where a possiblity if they cornered one and Bob said just don't tell him if I see them eat one!!!

Not long now only two weeks to chucks at our house.

xx
Ducks & chicken housing together

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 08, 2015, 16:08
by Sassy
xx
Chicken Housing in Durham/Darlington

Started by Thompson24 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 21, 2009, 22:49
by SnooziSuzi
xx
chicken breed temperament advice & housing (orpingtons?)

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 01, 2009, 13:21
by jo40
xx
Hen housing

Started by pmw on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 20, 2008, 18:58
by pmw

Page created in 0.269 seconds with 36 queries.