injured hen

• 7 Replies

bimbler

injured hen
« on: December 06, 2008, 21:03 »
ALISON went to give the hens some grain two took the oppertunity to jump out of the run and explore the garden. unknown to Alison Jethro our young westie had followed her into the Garden Alison caught one Hen and the other legged it Jethro chased her and bit her taking a mouth full of feathers and some skin. by the time I got home from work Alison had put the hen "Bluebell" (I told her you don't name food) was in the puppy cage in the dinning room. now the hen doesn't seem distressed  but is injured my instinct is to leave her overnight to see how she copes and if she becomes distressed or ill wring it's neck otherwise keep it away from the other three hens until the wound heals. any advice gratefully recieved.
GOOD FOOD, GOOD WINE, GOOD COMPANY

Oliveview

injured hen
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2008, 21:20 »
We found an injured hen along the lane by our house, the neighbours dogs had attacked it a few days previous. We took the then to another neighbour, he put an antibiotic spray onto the wound (it was a bad wound,under the wing,  the skin was all ripped)  The hen survived, much to my surprise.
Do you have any anteseptic wash you could clean the wound with?
Pamela

Bodger

injured hen
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2008, 22:44 »
Purple antiseptic spray. :thumright:

bimbler

injured hen
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2008, 23:13 »
thanks will pick up some betadine spray at work tomorrow I'd hate to kill it unnecassarily.

Vickie & Richard

injured hen
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2008, 11:14 »
I've had an hen in the house for the last week as she was attacked by a dog last saturday (not mine).  Its amazing how strong they are, mine was taken for a ride in the dogs mouth and had quite a few nasty puncture wounds underneath her and her back was bald and the skin ripped.  She was fixed by the vet (stapled) and given some tablets (i know, vets for a hen! i hear you shout! but she is more a pet to me than a meat bird).  I would recommend to spray her wounds and make sure she has plenty of water.  Mine has been spoilt rotten, cat food, weetabix etc.,.  she is now looking alot better and alittle fatter too! which is always good.  She had a couple of days off for laying but is now given me one a day again.  She is back at the vets tomorrow and i am hoping she can go back in with the other girls!!

bimbler

injured hen
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2008, 01:50 »
Hi just an update for those who offered assistance or read my original post we sprayed blue bells wound with betadine she seemed more concerned about being picked up than the injury. Anyway bluebell seems to have made a full recovery and is back in with the other hens and seems to be back in charge.

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
injured hen
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2008, 07:23 »
that's great news!
Maude ( my pet hen!) was caught by our dog last week and had no puncture wounds but was limping really badly and dragging her wing. I thought she's had it and was really upset, but I kept her quiet for a few days ( Not easy when she has 5 chicks) and she's made a total recovery too. They're tough old birds!

Kate and her Ducks

injured hen
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2008, 10:46 »
I'm really pleased to hear it.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

xx
MY INJURED HEN

Started by JMF on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 15:22
by kegs
clip
Has she injured herself?

Started by TashaH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post January 21, 2016, 17:49
by TashaH
xx
injured hen

Started by todog54 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 11:24
by muntjac
xx
Injured leg

Started by princesspoultry on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 14:21
by Jeanette

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 34 queries.