question

• 12 Replies

crowndale

question
« on: August 18, 2008, 20:12 »
I am getting broody for some chickens, doubt I'll ever go the whole hog and get some, probably just dream about it, but hypothetically, how easy is it to keep chickens in town?  Do they make a lot of noise and make the neighbours cross?  (Mine already get cross becoz I have cats!). Do they pong?  I could always keep chicken poop at the allotment as its only a stones throw from the house but would rather not make extra hassle.   Not sure I have the levels of commitment needed to look after chickens in less than clement weather anyway, but still, its something to ponder for the next eyar or two!
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

orfy

• Experienced Member
question
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 20:16 »
I got 3 last weekend.
how easy is it to keep chickens in town?
I keep mine in a tiny garden.
Do they make a lot of noise and make the neighbours cross?
Mine make less noise than a budgy
Do they pong?
No.
Not sure I have the levels of commitment needed to look after chickens in less than clement weather anyway,
Mine at present take less than 5 minutes a day to look after.

chickchick

question
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 21:11 »
ive got 2 guinea pigs and they are easier to look after than them!
take the plunge if you can, its addictive and very rewarding! i love my girls soooo much.
they are super company and very theraputic, stressbusters!!

crowndale

question
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 22:13 »
but what about when they get poorly (and not curable) and need to be dispatched?  couldn't do that.  and so many things to think about, you seem to speak a foreign language on here with the products needed and food types needed.  but am still broody and intrigued!  wonder what my social worker would make of chickens!

Vember

question
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2008, 22:27 »
ahhh it's not that bad
your basics are food, water, grit/oyster shell, sawdust, straw, wormer & mite spray... i think thats the basics  :lol:

Can't see it being a problem with social workers chickens are great for children, they don't bite like some dogs can or therefore not dangerous.

The only real danger in my opinion is they're addictive & you'll end up with more  :lol:

Foxy

question
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2008, 22:31 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
but what about when they get poorly (and not curable) and need to be dispatched?  couldn't do that.  and so many things to think about, you seem to speak a foreign language on here with the products needed and food types needed.  but am still broody and intrigued!  wonder what my social worker would make of chickens!

some here dispatch poorly birds themselves, and some just take to the vet to do the deed. I dont think vets charge as much to put a chicken to sleep as other animals, I think mine would do it for around £20.00. If you only have a few chickens and follow some of the advice here you really shouldn't have a problem, I'd say go for it! :lol: (you know you want too!)

poultrygeist

question
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2008, 22:48 »
Go on. You know you want to.  :twisted:

You can buy starter packs for cleaning/health stuff and the feed is just layers pellets. Bog standard.

If you cover the run, no pong. They will cost a bit of money to set up but once done, the upkeep is relatively small. No more than a rabbit and prob less hassle.
And rabbits don't lay eggs. Do they ?  :shock:

I couldn't dispatch a bird. Unless I REALLY had to. But we'd call in Annie's Brian. There may be a neighbour or someone who'd do the deed if needed.

Rob 8)

crowndale

question
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 07:54 »
Don't know anyone here that keeps chickens, I'm sure people do I just don't know them!!  Still thinking about it.  best consult with my kids too, particularly daughter as they'd be under her bedroom window!

Debz

question
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2008, 08:52 »
I live in a upper cottage flat and it was two days before my downstairs neighbour even found out that my chickens had arrived and even then it was because I told her!  The girls really don't make that much noise.  They only need about 5 minutes looking after a day with a bit longer at the weekends for a cleaning.  You will spend more time watching them and talking to them than anything else.  They are also great therapy because they can make you laugh with the silly things they do.  I have 3 warrens who are really tame and have laid every day since I got them 2 weeks ago.

compostqueen

question
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2008, 09:45 »
I don't think you should have them if you're not sure that you would want to get up early to let them out etc. You have to WANT to

Mine make a racket, well one of them  :roll:  and it worries me as I have guests and I worry that they'll complain.  I sleep in the attic and I hear them loud and clear in the morning when they want out.

It's pouring down at the moment and you have to turn out in all weathers to clean them out, feed them etc. So unless you're fully committed I honestly wouldn't do it. The stuff they need costs money for the amount of eggs they produce so they're not cost effective and it would be cheaper and less hassle to buy your free range eggs locally

Plus you have to make arrangements for hen sitters if you want to go anywhere  :D

Vickie & Richard

Re: question
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2008, 09:55 »
Quote from: "crowndale"
I am getting broody for some chickens, doubt I'll ever go the whole hog and get some, probably just dream about it, but hypothetically, how easy is it to keep chickens in town?  Do they make a lot of noise and make the neighbours cross?  (Mine already get cross becoz I have cats!). Do they pong?  I could always keep chicken poop at the allotment as its only a stones throw from the house but would rather not make extra hassle.   Not sure I have the levels of commitment needed to look after chickens in less than clement weather anyway, but still, its something to ponder for the next eyar or two!

I got my girls just over a week ago, i did check with my neighbours and they were all fine (we live in a block of cottages, with open plan gardens).  They were fine, as long as i did get a cock, which i wasn't thinking about donig anyway.  I really thought they would be noiser than they are, mind you they haven't started laying yet.  When you go up to the run they natter at you for a little while and thats it.  But i warn you, they are very addictive.  You will find yourself on this website all the time asking silly questions like me.  But the girls are lovely, you will find alot off your time being taken up with just watching them and taming them.  But it beats television any day.

crowndale

question
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2008, 10:55 »
The early waking doesn't bother me, I foster babies after all!  But the going out in all weathers is a bit off putting!!  maybe I should just find someone local who keeps them and go and oggle theirs!  Its in the blood though, my great grandfather was a market gardener and kept rabbits and chickens, as did my mum during the war anyway.  hmm, thinki'll just drool for a while longer.

violet

• Experienced Member
question
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2008, 11:18 »
Much less hassle than the rabbits we also have, no particular smell and just sooooooooo funny and clever!

xx
poo cleaning...a how to question??? oh, and another smaller question

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2010, 14:40
by hillfooter
xx
Egg Question

Started by AndyRVTR on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post February 20, 2009, 11:44
by poultrygeist
xx
A question

Started by katanadan on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post March 12, 2010, 17:54
by hillfooter
xx
Poo question!!

Started by shiatsusu on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 10:48
by Hengist

Page created in 0.241 seconds with 35 queries.