cockerels

• 4 Replies

andy8313

cockerels
« on: June 19, 2008, 19:45 »
hi i have four silkie hens that are lovely but i am thinking off getting a cockrel but as ikeep them in my garden am really worried off noise i am new to keeping chickens and love it but is there a cockrel that does not crow as load and frequent help

jack russell

cockerels
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 21:25 »
only a stuffed one mate :D They crow and will annoy at least one neighbour enough to make a complaint :cry: sorry to put a dampner on your idea.  Can you not put your name down for a lotty and keep them there  :D
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

Foxy

cockerels
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 21:32 »
I have 4 cockerels with a wide vocal range!!! The quietest being the biggest a cochin who sounds like a whoppee cushion.
Cockerels dont only crow at dawn - but periodically during the day, I really wouldn't recommend unless your neighbours are very very understanding  :?  :?  :? Saying that the pekin is quite unobtrusive and it it was just him I wouldn't really notice as more than one sets them all off!!!

mdueal

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.averysmallholding.co.uk/
cockerels
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 22:54 »
I personally couldnt have chickens without my cockerels as they are so beautiful and have such funny characters. One cockerel isnt too bad for crowing. They do get started off if you go into the garden in the day or if they get startled but will settle ones they have crowed and showed you how hard the are!! As long as you can keep him shut in the darkened coop until a sensible hour in the morning then it is fine (even if he does crow it is sufficiently muffled).

Thats my thoughts on the matter - but I am biased! If you do want one - I have one you could have. Either gold or partridge. I could also bring it up there for you in a couple of weeks as am coming up there anyway!

gypsyjanet

cockerels
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 12:10 »
Hi,I have just joined the site .
I have recently got two black lace bantam hens and a cockerel , I did this purposely because  bantam cocks dont crow as loud .
One morning I let them out a bit too early ( 4am ) and the cockerel went mad crowing his head off. Now I dont let them out till a more respectful time.  If the cock cant raise his head then he cant crow . I have designed my hen house so when the cock perches he cant raise his head.
Fortunately I have a road in front of my house that masks out any noise they make!

xx
Two cockerels or just the one?

Started by jonny1982 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 29, 2007, 21:03
by Aunt Sally
xx
What to do with cockerels?

Started by em_emma on The Hen House

21 Replies
Last post April 16, 2013, 21:28
by joyfull
xx
are they cockerels

Started by bluemaran on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 01, 2009, 08:45
by poppies
xx
COCKERELS

Started by rooster booster on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post March 17, 2007, 09:53
by rooster booster

Page created in 0.233 seconds with 36 queries.