Feeding chicks

• 7 Replies

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Feeding chicks
« on: May 22, 2008, 10:46 »
Hi,
I have an Amberlink (one of Grannie Annies) sat on a clutch of 6 Black Maran eggs due to hatch this weekend.  

I have a bag of chick crumbs and seperate water and drink feeders for them, newly bought and ready for a good scrubbing prior to putting out once (or should that be if) they arrive.

How long will they stay on the crumbs for and approx how long will mum still be happy to be with them. I understand from my books that she will start pecking and "chasing" them off when she is ready to leave them but can't seem to find out at roughly what age that will be.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Claire

PS. Yes, I will post piccies when they arrive for the soft and fluffy ones amongst us  :D  :D

Vember

Feeding chicks
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 12:15 »
I think they stay on crumbs for 4 weeks?  My last lot of babies were Guinea fowl and broody hen mum left them at about 6 weeks.

Real funny as even now they'll go back to following her around every so often  :lol:

nettynoodles1

• Experienced Member
Feeding chicks
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:19 »
hi claire,
 i give mine crumbs till out 6 or 7 weeks then growers if they look ready? :?  i start mixing  it at about 6 weeks till they are eating more and more n more of the growers.

my mums that have hatched have been ok with the  babies at night for  quiet a while but  get annoyed with them in the day at around 5 weeks! maybe its just like human mums  :oops:  we love them and want them safe but get fed up of hearing *mum i want* all day lol :lol:
hope that helps, it has been a while since i hatched any.
im sure some one who hatches loads will give better advice lol

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Feeding chicks
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 15:44 »
This may be of help.

CHICK CRUMBS

1 day - 8WKS

GROWERS

8WKS - 18WKS

LAYERS MASH/PELLETS

18WKS onwards

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Feeding chicks
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 16:45 »
Oh claire, that's lovely!  the first broody amberlink I've heard of!  Hope all your babies hatch okay.

I usually start to wean my chicks off the crumb from 4 weeks, depending on how much crumb I have left over!  But 4-8 weeks is the recommendation for layers, but 4 weeks for meat chooks.

Fingers crossed for you all!!!!

peggyprice

Feeding chicks
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2008, 18:54 »
Quote from: "GrannieAnnie"
Oh claire, that's lovely!  the first broody amberlink I've heard of!  Hope all your babies hatch okay.

I usually start to wean my chicks off the crumb from 4 weeks, depending on how much crumb I have left over!  But 4-8 weeks is the recommendation for layers, but 4 weeks for meat chooks.

Fingers crossed for you all!!!!

Does this mean you're going to be a Grannie Grannie? :D
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

pushrod

Feeding chicks
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2008, 19:34 »
you will find the chicks eat what the mother eats and that she will initially crush bigger pieces for them.
Mind most chick crumb has an antibiotic in which can protect them from some of the diseases they can be susceptible to.
When i put out just chick crumb for mother and chicks , mum seems to spend most of the time scratching and the chicks follow. I seem to get most joy when i mix crumb with corn and pellets. If the chicks have been incubator hatched they will eat whatever is put in front of them.
All these moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.

ck2day

• Experienced Member
Feeding chicks
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2008, 21:38 »
Thankyou for all the advice. I believe I only have 5 eggs now as one was found this evening with a big crack in it. I'm not sure whether it is an early chick or my hen has accidently cracked it. Will check before I go to bed and if still the same will remove it.

xx
feeding chicks

Started by kevans on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2011, 21:52
by GrannieAnnie
xx
feeding chicks

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 28, 2012, 15:05
by JaK
xx
Feeding chicks

Started by Vivian on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post September 21, 2007, 12:45
by Vivian
xx
Chicks & feeding

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 13, 2016, 17:35
by joyfull

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 33 queries.