Beak trimming - comments please

• 7 Replies

peggyprice

« on: May 06, 2008, 08:22 »
I'm at a loss to know what to do with Dorothy the egg eating fiend.

Now she's not only eating her own egg every morning, she's also attacking the two newbies - and they're so young they're terrified of her.  If they're all in the run she won't even let them out of the house sometimes, and yesterday when they were free ranging one of them got so scared she pushed her way through the metal gate and on to our patio - fortunately our four dogs weren't freeranging at the time!   We then had real problems getting the newbies back into the run at bedtime - understandably, they didn't want to go close.

Dorothy seems to be developing a habit of pecking at everything - she's had a go at my hands a couple of times in the last 24 hours, even though I wasn't holding anything.

So in desperation I'm looking for answers:

1.  Separation - she's in a small puppy cage as I write, but I don't have the facilities to separate her from the others properly for any length of time and not overnight.  Besides, that doesn't solve her egg eating problem.
2.  Spectacles - hoping to hear from Bodger soon, but am concerned that she's getting so set in her ways that it may be too late.
3.  Beak trimming - this is what's been advised by both the places I've had girls from, where they are more practical than sentimental.  I don't like the idea of causing any animal unnecessary pain, and I know the idea is to make the beak a bit too sore for them to want to peck - is this a permanent thing?  Does the beak heal & if so how soon?  Does it ever grow back?  How long will it feel sore?  And does it work??
4.  The ultimate deterrent - which will mean having to take her back to where she came from, because I wouldn't know how to do it & am unwilling to do it incompetently.

Suggestions on a postcard please!!
Nobody said this was going to be easy ... but some days are better than others!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 08:38 »
I can't remember how long you've had Dorothy or the newbies.  

Introductions can always be difficult and take up to about 3 weeks for things to settle down.  Babe is our expert on this, she does it ALL the time !

Spectacles seem to be your best answer. But beak trimming is VERY cruel.  It's done at one day old usually to stop cannibalism in hens who are too crowed in battery cages or broiler sheds, but it would be extremely painful in an adult bird and would bleed profusely  :evil: Better to kill the bird  :cry:

A roll away nest box may stop egg eating

http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/nest_boxes.htm

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 08:50 »
I'm not sure if its illegal yet either, but beak trimming is not supposed to be done anymore, even in the commercial houses!!!

Its not so bad with chooks, but turkeys can kill each ther if they are not trimmed!

peggyprice

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2008, 09:14 »
I'm glad you've both given me such a strong response - thanks.  I wasn't happy about it as an option, but still have so much to learn ...

It's still early days for the newbies (they only came on Saturday) - and we've only had Dorothy just over three weeks - I just wish she'd settle down and be a nice hen, 'specially since she's the most productive in laying terms - it's just she doesn't want to share  :(

Ye Gods, perhaps I should have stuck with dogs ...

Vember

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 09:23 »
Ahh they'll sort themselves out in a few days Peggy

Please
don't do the beak trimming it can interfear with feeding and preening and is really horrid :(

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2008, 09:44 »
They are very new to eachother then.  It takes time, free raging is the best way fro them to get to know eachother.  Make sure there is more than one feed and water station so that Dorothy can't chase the newbies away from the feed/water.  They should settle down within a few weeks.

Foxy

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2008, 13:06 »
nice cockerel would sort her out :wink:

peggyprice

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2008, 16:17 »
Quote from: "Foxy"
nice cockerel would sort her out :wink:

yeah ... and bring a whole different set of problems, thanks Foxy   :roll:

At the moment I've got them on a sort of shift system; letting the four that get on OK freerange around Dorothy in her cage so she's fully in sight & sound but can't frighten them any more than they already are; then putting them back in their run and letting Dorothy & one of the 'old' girls wander around.  When it gets dark I'll put Dorothy back in the house with them all, and in the morning I'll try the same again.  

Apart from anything else, I need to make sure the new girls don't pick up Dorothy's egg eating habit; if that happened I think I might just give up the whole lot in frustration  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

xx
beak trimming ?

Started by retribution on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 17, 2011, 02:03
by Lindeggs
xx
beak trimming

Started by Lorie on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 02, 2010, 18:08
by raeburg
xx
trimming talons

Started by mambo on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 13:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
Trimming Beaks

Started by Prod on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 16:35
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 33 queries.