the problems newbies encounter with keeping chickens

• 7 Replies

muntjac

« on: November 17, 2006, 20:34 »
now i am going to post a few little things i have seen posted and answered on some other sites i frequent ,please do not think i am havinga go at these people,i am not ,whati am trying to do is make those who see these more aware of the problems that some people come against when theydo not get the right information at the start or listen im sorry to say to complete prats or people who read a subject up on another site and as i said before carry this stupid information on and on.
what id like to do is for you to add your own problems you encountered in keeping livestock or birds of any sort  , the posts i will put here show you how not understanding an animal can lead to its mistreatment ansd evenmore expense on keeping an animal healthy and your posts will also add to the list of things new owners are going to probably come up against

posted just this last  week
chickens
Are seriously wrecking my garden!!!!!!!! Now I do feel they should free range but my garden is not that big..... it is getting seriously wrecked and we are only in November and to be honest we haven't really hit the winter months or the wet months!!! So any (sensible) ideas! No I won't put them in a pot!!!!!! If I build a run for them to be kept in how big does it need to be??? etc etc!!

this is a case of getting the birds before realising what it takes to keep them ,someone probably told this person " oh chickens dont needanything special just feed em they will be fine "you can keep them in an egru :roll:

post 2
build a run put concrete on the floor, and wash it off every day.

You can always add grass clippings, hay or straw as a scratching insentive.

my answer
if you put chickens on concrete it will cause callouses on thier feet and toes ,and it is also abrasive ,even with the chippings which they wil scrat away it will still act like sandpaper on thier feet
post 3
i only let my chickens free range at weekends cos its dark now

my reply
why do you only let them free range at weekends cos its dark? they will go into shelter when it gets dark on thier own ....im confused.....
still alive /............

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2006, 12:45 »
I think Mr Muntjac gets a bit cross with silly answers - but not silly questions :)
I really think that before you keep any animal you should invest in a couple of books and make contact with others who keep the same animal.
The cruelty inflicted by people on animals through ignorance is cross making.
Incidentally - on the topic of ignorance - never ever give a cat a pill that the vet does not prescribe or is sold for cats. Aspirin is usually fatal for a cat.
Same goes for any animal, I just know cats.
Finally, forums are great for sharing information, views etc. but do consider things carefully when dealing with animal health.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2006, 16:52 »
Very true John,

Muntjac has kept and worked with animals for many years and gives his excellent advice from his great store of knowlege.  

Keeping a new type of animal can be a steep learning curve and one you should start before you get them.  My father always kept chickens while I was a child so I had a head start.  Good advice can be hard to come by and must be judged for soundness.   If in doubt always ask a professional  :!:

They never let me take a decent picture :lol:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2006, 17:37 »
Having said that, my first cat Kali was a present from my mum - complete with basket (never used) and food bowls (much used!)

I got a book called 'C for Cat' full of good practical advice and some sound advice from the vet.

Well the cat stopped eating and so to the vet who explained she was eating somewhere. Next day the RSPCA man is knocking on the door. We've been reported by the old dear up the road for starving our cat. She always ate everything the old lady gave her - mainly fresh chicken, lightly cooked with a good helping of double cream to wash it down.

Her other endearing habit was to climb the tree in front of our house and miaow at the passing children. They'd knock on the door, I'd get the ladder and she'd look at me as if I was a complete idiot and climb down on her own.

I also learnt from her that you never ever lean over a kitten while not wearing pants. Oooh - dangly thing.

milkman

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2006, 17:49 »
John I'm just glad life appears to be so much more unexpectedly hazardous for men!  :wink:
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2006, 18:09 »
It's natures way of training us to live with women!

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2006, 23:05 »
i can say john i sufferd the old lady syndrome when i was a youngster .the farm had a few old dears living in isolated houses on its boundary ,and i had this blooming ginger cat the size of a border terrier and a temper to match " tomazina " from the film. now we fed this cat the usual foods and it caught rats mice rabbits pheasants and the like ,but the sod would go to one old ladies house a mrs abel ( jewish lady always cooking  ) and as gods my witness the cat would treat her as another cat she would purr n let her stroke it the whole 9 yards we could not touch the dam thing without ending up with blood pouring ... her secret the fishman would come friday morning and she would buy 2lbs of cod cheeks n tongues for the blooming thing .and she actually thought the cat was hers it would come round every morning to be fed  :lol:

Tensing

• Experienced Member
    • uk goat owners
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2006, 00:05 »
Quote from: "muntjac"
i can say john i sufferd the old lady syndrome when i was a youngster .the farm had a few old dears living in isolated houses on its boundary ,and i had this blooming ginger cat the size of a border terrier and a temper to match " tomazina " from the film. now we fed this cat the usual foods and it caught rats mice rabbits pheasants and the like ,but the sod would go to one old ladies house a mrs abel ( jewish lady always cooking  ) and as gods my witness the cat would treat her as another cat she would purr n let her stroke it the whole 9 yards we could not touch the dam thing without ending up with blood pouring ... her secret the fishman would come friday morning and she would buy 2lbs of cod cheeks n tongues for the blooming thing .and she actually thought the cat was hers it would come round every morning to be fed  :lol:

I have a large black tom cat with 3 legs, and we live backing on to old peoples bungaloos. I swear he gats feed by atleast a dozen of them. He can walk normally, but when he see a new person or an old lady and suddenly he can hardly walk. He's over there now curled up in front of their fire, having had a nice supper.
Caroline

xx
Problems with keeping Chickens on an allotment (law)

Started by val3147 on The Hen House

30 Replies
Last post September 06, 2011, 16:48
by Aunt Sally
xx
Keeping Chickens

Started by Lilac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post October 26, 2007, 19:53
by SnooziSuzi
xx
new to keeping chickens

Started by Sue33 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 11:26
by matilda duck
smiley
new to keeping chickens

Started by jony worrall on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 09:12
by toasted

Page created in 0.238 seconds with 38 queries.