new chucks settle in

• 12 Replies

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« on: October 17, 2006, 11:45 »
just got back from the auctions  .  the auctions stated at 8 and i got there fer 8.30 let the city folks get thier birds at stupid prices first ( tip for ya dont buy to sson) time for breakfast sandwich ( bacon butty fried egg in a bap ) bought a few other bits from the dead stock sale then wandered back to the live stuff some real nice rabbits silly prices tho so not buying there let the moms n dads buy for the kiddies if they want to .i came for chickens so chickens im going fer .so i am leaning on the old cow pens watching  n listening very intently norfolk accents abound "outbreak of newcastle up norf thye say they reckons 6000 partridge killed " ........aye * if it came down ere " ....." we aye got enuff trouble with fox n blooming kids without that to ......."ere them welsummers aint selling very well  caint be owt wrong wi em thems old sams " ......."well i heard he got the lung trouble  not been to good fer weeks hear he packing it in ".... ,mental note to self welsummers ,cheap . so sipping my tea  the bantams pullets come up £6 they reach blooming city folks "  oh honey are they not the cutest thing you ever saw "",,, oh well that my bantams off the list ,sure dont want them blooming crosses so now the welsumers come up in batches of 12 in a crate cept in one there 13 .blody old sam never could count the fingers on his hand  go the cry .......  "aye thats cos he lost 3 of em in war hahahahah " so the bid starts 50p ...... 50p blooming pence  .come on people someone take em home they will boil over nice if nowt else . a hand goes up..75p. a cap nods . my eyes lift to the nocker  up they go to £1.00. another nod of the cap n they have £1.50  my eyes lift and im the nockers best mate ,my eyes look down to make out im not really bothered  in em really , no more bids come and the nocker slams his stick down and i have my birds £2.00 a piece £ 50 fer 25 birds .im told the crates can go with the birds mate the seller dont want em back.. so im the richer of 2 old but real well made solid bird crates .today is getting better .i looks to the cash carrier n pays my dues £50 for birds £58 in total , and i looks at the old chap who waits to collect the money for the birds i just bought ,he say you done right they fella them good birds .i say are they urs then .u sam? eye  he says  so i shakes his hand saying thanks .a £10 note slips from my hand to his as i say them the crates as well tween us .told tell the missus your going fer a beer .so folks i am back with my  welsummers .and good birds they are to out of moult wieghing in at 2 1/2 lbs a piece clean legged no lice . .................
settling in nice

still alive /............

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
new chucks settle in
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2006, 22:43 »
so you bought some chickens then???? lol

Sound nice ones, and 2 crates as well!!!!  What a good day you had!

What auction do you go to Muntjac?  We used to go to Colchester when we lived in Essex, but it really went downhill.  Like you say, the townies come up and pay through the nose for the stuff.

OH keeps promising to take me to Melton Mowbray for a looksee, but after 4 years here, I've still not managed it!!!!

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2006, 23:25 »
went to wrentham farm auction its only on every 2 mths used to ne a farmers affair but its getting townies in now ,reckon it will close for good come winter

other one i go for is beccles and acle

GrannieAnnie

new chucks settle in
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 23:31 »
Thanks Muntjac, will have to tell OH, I might get lucky!!!!!!

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 23:36 »
nows time to be looking to go for them geese n extra birds ,if the market runs to Christmas week go then and hang around till near the days end n grab whats left as i do ,i comes home with all sorts at dirt cheap prices , i found out as the old fellas likes to spend an afternoon in the pub and dont want to taking any stock home so just takes the cover for it . had 2 aylesburys last year .ate lovely also picked up half doz small english rabbits for  breeding pets. i always take a trailer as the skip gets filled with stuff the auctioneer wont hold till new year and its a bunfight to get whats in there .have had a couple old butchers cycles and few other  bits like half roll chicken wire

GrannieAnnie

new chucks settle in
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 23:44 »
thanks for the advice muntjac

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 23:48 »
ful of useless information me lol :wink: and its karl : :D

GrannieAnnie

new chucks settle in
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 23:53 »
sorry karl, bit tired tonight.  should go to bed really, but I'm bidding on something on ebay for my daughter's b'day and it come off at 1.15am.  can't stay up that long though!!!

Just hope OH doesn't get on pc before me tomorrow, or I'll get into trouble for buying it!!!!  He's not always tight, but we are a bit short at the moment moneywise!!  let me re-phrase that, yes he is always tight!!!!

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 23:57 »
no worries  lolo.

aint most men hahhah unless its a new bit for the car etc

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
new chucks settle in
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 00:42 »
Love the way you tell 'em Karl - if you ever write a book you'll need to get it translated though :)

Started a two hour job at 10am - nearly finished now and it's tomorrow!

Only another two hours to do in the morning so I should be finished by Friday!!
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 10:57 »
what job takes you that long .her indoors got you decorating   :wink:

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
new chucks settle in
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 11:36 »
No, she wouldn't trust me to decorate! She's a good tiler as well.

I'm getting 22 web sites on line and was trying to share a database that's located in Texas with some sites located in Sheffield but couldn't get it to work as a server setting forbids it <grrrr>

So moved on to plan B

I'm also doing a new bit for this site and that's been a nightmare. Taking information from different sources and combining them. Discovered a big mistake as well that I'm trying to sort out without changing 484 lines in the database manually. <sigh>
Still, I've got this far so I'd best finish!

muntjac

new chucks settle in
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 12:11 »
you lost me when you said server .where's me bat?

xx
Leaving eggs to settle

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 18:49
by Viv
xx
How long for a broody to settle??

Started by bedifferent on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 19:45
by bedifferent
xx
Would a new coop help settle differences between old and new hens?

Started by Pepperpincushion on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 15:20
by joyfull
xx
chucks....

Started by iannp on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post November 14, 2007, 20:01
by iannp

Page created in 0.352 seconds with 35 queries.