goose value!

• 11 Replies

megkaya

goose value!
« on: June 02, 2015, 14:01 »
Don't get me wrong, all my birds are my extended family so I don't usually think of them this way. But as leverage to help me persuade my housemates it's a good idea to get 5 goslings rather than 2, could someone tell me the approximate value of a goose come Christmas time? I'm happy to do the work, process the meat etc, and they'll be completely organic etc.
Thanks!

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
Re: goose value!
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2015, 14:21 »
Home reared and dressed anywhere between £65-£90 but it is finding the people who are prepared to pay. Most people I know rear to order  :)

megkaya

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2015, 15:01 »
Well goodness me, I won't be hIvinhw them names then..!

megkaya

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2015, 15:02 »
Giving, that is.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 23:44 »
How much?   Wow, the last time we reared geese for the table I sold them for £30.  but that was about 16 years ago, and even then one woman complained that it was too expensive!   LOL

megkaya

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2015, 23:44 »
Well I took the whole brood in the end. They have all fallen asleep on my lap, and have been following me around all day, nibbling at my clothing. Value of meat is the last thing on my mind but my grandparents will forgive me all my sins when I arrive to visit at Christmas.

Helenaj

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 07:23 »
Well I took the whole brood in the end. They have all fallen asleep on my lap, and have been following me around all day, nibbling at my clothing. Value of meat is the last thing on my mind but my grandparents will forgive me all my sins when I arrive to visit at Christmas.

Oh Oh! I see trouble looming! Once you start cuddling and you implant on each other there is going to be a whole heap of trouble when Christmas starts to loom! Somehow, this time next year I suspect that someone will have a flock of geese!  :D :D :D

pepsi100

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 00:05 »
I hatched a goose from an egg, we gave her a name, Christmas as she was going to star in our Christmas lunch

She followed the kids around, waited at the gate for them to come home from school, they even bought a cat lead and took her for walks over the park and the pond

She was very protective towards the garden and the kids, nothing she didnt like ever came in there, that included the cats, pigeons, dogs, the neighbor (but for some reason she liked the postman) it would be head down, wings out and honking like a good 'un

Well December arrived and the day was approaching, I had learnt how to kill and dress a goose, I wasnt looking forward to it, but its what she was hatched for

About a week to go I told the kids to say their good byes to Christmas, of course there were tears and a few arguments

The day (or rather the night, I always prefer to do the deed at night when they are relaxed)

I picked her up and took her into the shed and of course she was all over me, honking, but not loud, I looked at her, she looked at me, well I bottled out, I put her back and we bought a frozen turkey

She had a great Christmas, sprouts, cabbage, even her own lettuce (the kids bought her several for Christmas)

She went on for a good few years, strutting around the garden, eating all the plants, still waited for the kids and protected the garden from all comers

My advice to ANYONE, never cuddle or make friends with a goose, never give them names, treat them as the should be treated and what you are growing them for, never let the kids near them when they are goslings

The kids are all grown up now, but they still talk about Christmas and the frozen turkey we had, I made the mistake of giving my cockerel a name, Barry, now the wife wont let me doing anything with him, I think he fancies my wife, he cuddles up when she is in the garden, follows her around

I just wonder how many of these geese are going to be around this time next year :D

I know Barry will still be here ;)
It's all about the journey, not the destination

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2015, 08:03 »
 :lol:

That's a great story  :lol: and some good advice if you are rearing animals for the table  ;)

Norfolkgrey

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2015, 08:53 »
Thats a lovely story  :) Just to warn anyone else wanting to rear a goose, get more than one as they will imprint to you if you have just the one  :)

So just how many are in the brood?  :)

Oh and rough plucked Christmas before last they made between £30-50 at auction near me.

pepsi100

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2015, 09:06 »
When we moved, we couldnt take Christmas with us, so she went to a farm for disabled kids

As she was hand tame and never really pecked anyone, the kids loved her

There were other geese there, so she had plenty to see and do there for here

She went on and raised her own family several times

(I wish I had the room (and grass) to have another Christmas :))

megkaya

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2015, 11:51 »
Thanks all, it's good advice. I still cuddle all 5 every day and even though they are growing extremely fast they are still adorable!  :D
I am quite cold when it comes to cockerels, I can choose which ones to get attached to and always ready to dispatch those I can't find homes for, but I have always preferred geese as they are so characterful, and I just hope I can manage it as they are quite expensive purely as lawn-mowers!!
I'll let you know what I manage to do come December.

xx
Goose Egg

Started by Vember on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 01, 2008, 14:52
by Vember
xx
Goose egg

Started by slowef on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 20:21
by Stree
xx
Goose getting better - Thank you :)

Started by Vi on The Hen House

33 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 13:25
by lina
xx
How Do You Sex A Goose

Started by dangolding on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 10:24
by Bodger

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 37 queries.