Maybe a silly question...

• 36 Replies

Neelam

Re: Maybe a silly question...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2013, 14:19 »
Ok, thanks mohs and joyfull for those information and shared pictures, it helped me quite a lot and for the Roof I'll google it. Last question about the run: did you staple the mesh wire to the framework? Would this be stable and long lasting enough? And if it is stapled, with a stapler (those big ones) or those single wire staples you can get and that to me seems literally impossible to get them in straight without risking fingers - besides I might use them wrong way? (So far I thought they are to be used like a U-form nail, holding to the surface and get them in with a hammer?)

And something different: Looking at coops, there are coops said for 4 chicken but having 2 nest places and 6 chicken having 3... Do I not need one for each chuck I keep?

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2013, 06:34 »
I used a heavy duty stapler cost me about 6-7 pounds i think with some staples. I wouldnt recommend u shape. Use the stapler that takes 10mm staples mines still standing firm. Make sure ur frame work has enough support. If you have  made or making panels then put a support in each corner of the panel. Look at my pics. Check this item on ebay.
Item number:

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2013, 13:15 »
We also used a stapler on ours, the heavy duty one is fine but we managed to borrow an electric one which made the job much quicker.  We made up one panel to check if it was ok and then cut all the lengths for the rest so we had a bit of a production line going which saved time.   We ordered the shiplap for the kickboard and asked for it to be cut to size which saved us a job.  ;)
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Milly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2013, 07:50 »
Recently a poster asked about mentors. Perhaps someone near you would volunteer? The idea is great; I wish we had had some hand-holding when we started ;-).
Best of luck

I posted re a mentor, I didn't find one but this forum is very helpful and this thread in particular  :D

Neelam

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2013, 11:03 »

I posted re a mentor, I didn't find one but this forum is very helpful and this thread in particular  :D

Yes, it is very helpful indeed and I still be amazed that there a some forums left in the www who a polite and kind tune is spoken and not the raised finger if you ask a question. Thank you so much to all of you.

For now, I got quite a few weeks time to think and reconsider everything I've learned in this forum as well, gardening can be quite dangerous and now I suffer a mulitfragmentary fracture in my left toe. Shouldn't have bothered with those heavy paving stones, I guess, or should have got steel-toed boots first insted of my rubber boots. Anyway, I've one final question before sitting, toe up, and think about our chicken.

1.) How do you manage to feed them every day at the same time if you have little children who are not always predictable so you could be delayed by the unforeseen.

2.) How high is the risk, after all requested hygiene, that a chicken disease is infectious for the little children (3 years, 11 months) and the rabbits?

Thanks for the help!
Neelam

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2013, 15:19 »
It is easiest to let them help themselves to food, hang your feeder off the ground so mice/rats can't get at it and it is under cover from the weather (it turns mouldy within 1 day when wet).  Chickens need the food available to them during daylight hours and they will help themselves as and when they want it.

As with any animal a good hygiene routine is best so your children should be fine as long as they wash their hands after being with the hens.  You could have a hand cleanser near the hens for use like when you visit a hospital.   ;)

Neelam

« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2013, 19:26 »

You could have a hand cleanser near the hens for use like when you visit a hospital.   ;)

THAT'S quite a good idea, never got it myself...  :nowink:
That I will definitively get anyway, even with the rabbits it is not too bad having it close by before touching everything in the house on the way to the basin.

xx
SILLY QUESTION

Started by ToHellWithWeeds! on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 21, 2007, 18:11
by Aunt Sally
xx
another silly question

Started by Tony H on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 09, 2012, 08:41
by Sassy
xx
Silly question?

Started by bygrace on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post October 26, 2011, 00:52
by Lindeggs
xx
Silly Question

Started by 5aday on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 26, 2007, 13:55
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.227 seconds with 35 queries.