Maybe a silly question...

• 36 Replies

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
Re: Maybe a silly question...
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2013, 12:20 »
It still says u can't receive personal message, mayb u should try messaging me and i'll reply to that.
im in derby bit far from bolton, i can send you plenty of pictures or if u want to visit sundays is fine for me before 4 i go to work then. :-) maybe we can have one of the chickens for lunch lol

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2013, 12:49 »
It still says u can't receive personal message, mayb u should try messaging me and i'll reply to that.
im in derby bit far from bolton, i can send you plenty of pictures or if u want to visit sundays is fine for me before 4 i go to work then. :-) maybe we can have one of the chickens for lunch lol

New members need to have 10 posts before they can send or receive a pm mohs.ayaz so a few more posts and Neelam will be able to do that.   ;)

There are lots of pictures of members setups on HERE 

I looked for some of mohs.ayaz photos he had posted on here of his set up but they are no longer available.   :(

This is my walk in run which is in three sections, a large area for the main flock, two smaller ones, one for quail and the other for chicks.  It is constantly changing in design, we now have an eglu cube on the outside with an opening in to the main run.  Next job is to do the same with an eglu classic on the outside of the chicks run.
Walk in run roof and turkey poults 009.JPG
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Neelam

« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2013, 12:59 »
This is my walk in run which is in three sections, a large area for the main flock, two smaller ones, one for quail and the other for chicks.  It is constantly changing in design, we now have an eglu cube on the outside with an opening in to the main run.  Next job is to do the same with an eglu classic on the outside of the chicks run.

Sure that's only for poultry?
Looks better than many houses I've seen in the past 2 years here!

ANHBUC

« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2013, 13:07 »
We do tend to over engineer things.   ::) :lol:  We started off with a cheap import coop with electric net fencing around but soon found that did not work well in our wet climate as our garden is clay, so we thought we had better make a purpose built run with roof.

We do have a shed with cobbled together run where there are no right angles. My brother put an old shed up for me and did not level it very well then the run was built on to it so is a bit ramshackled.   ::)
Barred Plymouth Rock bantam chicks 007 (2000 x 1500).jpg

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2013, 19:57 »
This was yr ag
image.jpg

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2013, 20:00 »
I will take more pictures soon.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2013, 20:01 »
They've grown so much in months. :-)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Neelam

« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2013, 22:12 »
Those are beautyful birds!

What materials did you use for coop and run? Mean, what type of wood?

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2013, 22:24 »
For the coops i used plywood 12mm they cut them in sizes you can buy them online cheaper but my local supplier cut them to sizes i needed so worth paying extra. 2inch squared wood for the framework.

For the run i used 1inch by 1 1/4inch 6ft long. I have forgot what it's called i'll remember it by tomorrow lol.

Neelam

« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2013, 13:25 »
We do have a shed with cobbled together run where there are no right angles. My brother put an old shed up for me and did not level it very well then the run was built on to it so is a bit ramshackled.   ::)

A bit ramshackled would be perfect for our backyard, believe me...  :wub:

How do you call the material your roof is made of in English? Cannot even remember the German word for it right now, shame on me...

The picture shows the corner I would like to put the coop and run as it has shelter from two sides. Thing with building something on my own is, that my little arm extensions are a bit naughty when there are tools and all sorts of interesting building stuff around and I guess, it most certainly would end up in me building the run for the kids instead of the chicken to lock them up from time to time  :lol:  (So without someone who can help almost impossible, that's why for our rabbit shelter I had been quite inventive.)

Those paving slabs cover the whole backyard besides the few parts I took them out as for my rabbit compost that you can see on the right hand corner of this picture.

For the run I would keep them underneath the coop and one row in front of, the rest I would take out and fill up with sand and soil.

Any suggestions from you whether you would get someone to build the place or get something ready?

ANHBUC

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 15:22 »
You have a good site with the two walls already there.

The roof structure has trusses. 

It would depend how handy you are as to whether you can build it yourself.  You can buy the panels premade or construct your own.  You could put a sloping roof on with the span not being very wide.     

Neelam

« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2013, 18:31 »

It would depend how handy you are as to whether you can build it yourself.  You can buy the panels premade or construct your own.  You could put a sloping roof on with the span not being very wide.   

I consider myself as quite handy and have build quite a lot of things made of wood or zinc and copper sheets and so on in my life, thing is only, that I suffer from a lack of suitable tools since I came to UK  :(
My old Makita hasn't the power for those brick walls, I already tried that just for a ridiculous washing line hook and could not succeed though the drill was the right one. And the same is for the wood sheets.
Wooden beams I can saw with a hand saw but a wooden sheet would take ages and my jigsaw seems not to be quite adaptable for British Jigsaw blades. So if you cannot borrow those tools from DIY shops as some in Germany offer, this could be my biggest draw-back. My first thought has been to get the framework at the open side, fix  trusses around the brick wall's top for the roof construction so the slope roof could be turned outside the yard for the drainage (there's a wide enough green space between wall and pavement, so nobody will be disturbed but the yard gets less additional water from the roofs. Or it had to be a roof with a gutter and could end in a rain barrel.

The coop definitively must be back side to the tree as on hot summer days it gives the chooks additional shade as for from late afternoon in summer there will be sun in this corner almost till dawn plus it gives more wind protection... However I found car covers quite usable for the problem of draught with the rabbits. It lets air through but is at least 95% waterproof, so even on a sunny day it will not heat up much more than the outside and the rabbits have a bigger shelter and their kennels stay dry, too. Looks a bit spacy my "Mars Station" that I told my husband is a Gas Chamber undercover...   :tongue2:
But climate is perfectly fine underneath. Just to give you an impression what I mean, there is a picture...
However, those car covers might be another way for summer heat protection and especially for draught protection.

So, all I really would need is: A way to borrow those tools without having to buy them yet, and someone handy to help either to keep my arm extensions happy and entertained or giving me a hand with the building (or both). Ideas I would have enough...
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 18:36 by Neelam »

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2013, 01:43 »
Some more pictures they may help with the framework. :)
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2013, 07:28 »
Hi Neelam, you asked what material was used for the run roofs in the photos - this would be Onduline or Coroline depending on which manufacturer was used. This is great for roofs on coops as well as runs as it doesn't provide a hiding place for red mite.
Staffies are softer than you think.

mohs.ayaz

• Experienced Member
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2013, 02:46 »
Heres the final picture ready for winter
image.jpg

xx
Silly question

Started by t161tanya161 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 20, 2012, 18:08
by kegs
question
silly egg question

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 08:25
by newatthis
xx
Silly question I know

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 09:22
by ali2
xx
silly question?

Started by krystal on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 16:08
by krystal

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 35 queries.