Sudden Fighting?

• 4 Replies

R_A_W

• I Love My Chickens
Sudden Fighting?
« on: September 10, 2013, 12:34 »
I have 2 hens, Dolly and Mavis.
Dolly has always been the dominant one.
But earlier today, they were both standing on a home made ramp, when I gave them some porridge. Dolly pecked at Mavis so that she could have the last bit. Mavis unfortunately toppled off the ramp. She ran back round to where Dolly was standing and attacked her again and again and has pretty much been going for her ever since. They're keeping a distance from each other (we have a large garden) at the moment but Dolly doesn't seem happy about it at all and ever time Mavis goes near her she goes for her.
I've never seen Mavis retaliate before and don't really know what to do. They've been together for about 3 years and never fought.

Is this common behaviour?
Memory is a selection of images. Some illusive, others printed indelibly on the brain.

loretta cluck

• Experienced Member
Re: Sudden Fighting?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2013, 13:18 »
Unusual that you havent had a reply from one of the experts, which unfortunately I arent.  I am hoping that things have settled down since yesterday, seeing as these 2 girls have been together for 3 years, and wouldnt normally fight with each other.  I have 5 girls, 2 of whom sometimes fight, but nothing major...it's generally an argument over a digging patch that has proved to have a couple of unearthed worms they squabble about, but doesnt continue.
Normally I'd guess you'd seperate them, but seeing as you've only 2, that doesnt seem right.  Is it worth looking at getting a couple more hens if this behaviour continues.

8doubles

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 14:17 »
Are they pals again yet ?
If not what happens at night , do they roost as far away from each other as possible ?

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 14:43 »
It sounds like the last spat was the straw that broke the camels back.  Since Mavis has retaliated and taken the upper hand she will want to keep her position as top hen.  As long as there is no blood drawn they should be fine.  Hopefully things will settle down and Dolly will accept that she is no longer top hen.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2013, 08:18 »
You may already do this and it doesn't work every time, but when you only have 2 hens when giving treats try to give in 2 piles of whatever or even 3. This way they can concentrate on the treat rather than stopping the other hen from getting it. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Fighting

Started by The Chicken Lady on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post March 07, 2007, 21:00
by muntjac
xx
fighting

Started by gailtearle on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 03, 2011, 16:53
by gailtearle
xx
fighting

Started by bramford on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 12, 2012, 07:24
by bramford
xx
fighting

Started by lovechickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:05
by nzdunn

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 36 queries.