How bad does Mr fox smell?

• 11 Replies

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
How bad does Mr fox smell?
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:33 »
Ive had dogs all my life but chickens not so long. The other day I was in the workshop and heard my chickens outside rosey noisiliy (not an egg laying noise but more so like something spooked them as they were all rosey). Anyhow I did notice this smell in the air like a real dirty dog smell which seemed to linger in the area. So I know its a bit of a longshot but I wondered if its possible I was able to smell Mr Fox. Has anyone else encountered this before?

I still havent seen Mr Fox though I am assured by locals he is about and quite big. I do watch the CCTV at night sometimes but dont see any attempts/visits to the chicken run.

How likely is it that he visits at night? We do have a jack russel so am wondering if the scent keeps Mr fox away day and night.

Thanks

8doubles

Re: How bad does Mr fox smell?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 12:44 »
We quite often used to smell a fox before we saw it when out controlling rabbit numbers .
On those dairy farms the fox was counted as a helper and let be ! :)

It could have also been a stoat (or relative) as they can get pretty pungent at times. :blink:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 12:57 »
Thanks for the reply. It was raining that day and the area did smell alot like wet dog x 1000  :D What you've said kinda of confirms it for me but i'll wait for a repeat visit to be sure. Maybe Mr Fox would be better at hunting if he took a bath now and then  ::)

snow white

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 14:04 »
Its a very musky scent, very doggy but an unwashed doggy with lots of fur and very wet sort of smell. :blink:

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2013, 19:41 »
That sounds very much like the smell i smelt, I wouldnt of put 2 and 2 together if the chickens hadnt been making a noise.

Dawnuss

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2013, 20:40 »
Yes I would think it was fox you could smell. Did your dog react at all?? When out walking with mine they tend to go on a mad trackingspree at which time I can smell a strong musty smell and 9/10 the culprit ( mister fox) will be spotted.  Glad none of your ladies were harmed  :)

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:29 »
It is a very bitter sour smell and can be smelt when out and about in the countryside.  :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

grinling

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2013, 22:44 »
keep an eye on the run area for diggings. Is it covered with anything?

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26 »
The dog was indoors so didnt react, next time I smell Mr Fox I shall let the dog out straight away. Out of interest do badgers smell bad too?

The run has a concrete trench going all around and a roof on the run, the sides are roughly 1.8metres high, the first metre is double meshed. Lots of people in the village comment on having trouble with Mr Fox but we've had none so far. I dont know if we've been lucky or whether Mr fox is happy with his other food sources. Im currently doing some landscaping for someone at their farm and they said lost 3 hens in 3 days a fortnight ago. These people are the opposite end of the village to us and this seems to be where the majority of the fox trouble comes from.

grinling

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2013, 21:06 »
Badgers can smell, the only foxes I have seen here are dead, but haven't heard or smelt them here yet, but as there are the free rangeing commercial sheds in Ruskington they prob stay there on the woods with the pheasants.

nuzuki

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2013, 09:39 »
Theres certainly lots of pheasants around at the moment for the foxes. I must of seen over 10 yesterday.

maxyboo

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 11:01 »
We have 2 foxes who could not be returned to the wild and they stink to high heaven at times! It really is a strong musky scent and gets into your pores and hair if you spend any time with them. It's one of those smells, once you have recognised it,  that you can't mistake for anything else. Apart from that they are lovely  :)

xx
new hens smell of wet dog...help

Started by dannyboy2010 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post June 07, 2011, 21:45
by compostqueen
xx
Smell and noise?

Started by netserve on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post August 22, 2008, 14:14
by compostqueen
xx
turkeys smell really bad

Started by rachelr on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post October 25, 2011, 12:45
by rachelr
xx
egg shell smell

Started by Sparr0wman on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 24, 2009, 18:18
by Sparr0wman

Page created in 0.214 seconds with 35 queries.